Full-Time Administrative Assistant
About Fistula Foundation:
An estimated one million women in Africa and Asia suffer from obstetric fistula, a debilitating childbirth injury that leaves a woman incontinent and, as a result, too often abandoned by her family and shunned by her community. We are in business to end this needless suffering. Surgery is the only cure, which we deliver through partners in more than 20 countries.
Over the last decade we have emerged as the global leader in fistula treatment, treating more women in more places that even the United Nations or the US government. We are raising four times as much money as we were a decade ago and treating 15 times as many women. But, we are far from done and we are building a team to help us end fistula in a generation.
True to our Silicon Valley roots, Fistula Foundation is dynamic and growth oriented. We pride ourselves on being run like a successful, financially disciplined, for-profit organization; the big difference is our bottom line is measured not in earnings per share or profit, but in the number of women we are able to help. It also means that we “lean hard” into technology and the efficiencies it brings, enabling us to do more with fewer resources. Fistula Foundation is committed to delivering results against our mission and aspires to the values of the Effective Altruism movement.
We have the dynamism of a lean start-up team with the stability of a mature organization, including a $14M reserve, which includes a nearly $8M endowment. Our supporters love to share stories about how we’ve touched their lives, as seen in more than 600 stories on GreatNonprofits.org. We have 13 years of 4-star Charity Navigator ratings, along with a consistent “A” from Charity Watch. And, we have earned the recognition of high-profile leaders including Pulitzer-Prize winner Nicholas Kristof, Grammy winner Paul Simon, and internationally renowned ethicist Peter Singer.
Fistula Foundation is looking for an outstanding administrative professional to support our CEO, leadership team and broader administrative needs. Our ideal candidate will possess strong communications and project management skills and is comfortable working in an entrepreneurial culture where teamwork is crucial for effectively coordinating deadlines and workstreams. The AA will be a vital part of our team that provides excellent customer service both internally and when interacting with donors.
- Manage CEO’s executive calendar
- Plan, coordinate and execute all requested meeting logistics and events, including board calls and meetings for CEO and senior staff members. Examples include preparing agendas, briefings, and correspondence for staff and business meetings, and maintaining records and files of current and past CEO projects, operations and decisions.
- For the CEO and other staff as needed, arrange business travel, both domestic and international, including trip itineraries. Track and process expenses.
- Primary support to Donor Services by helping create and execute informative, detailed, and timely responses to donor inquiries. Examples include speaking 1:1 with donors, monitoring email and mail correspondence, special projects such as scheduling donor visits and group calls, twice weekly batches of thank you letters, receiving incoming mail and donations, and providing internal support for approximately 20 mailings per year.
- Project manage implementation of fundraising and stewardship mailing projects. Coordinate, organize and do quality control on internal efforts to hand-sign and customize 16-20 distinct mailing projects annually.
- Maintain network of volunteers to assist with mailings and other ongoing projects. Track volunteer time applied to each project, actively grow volunteer network and organize annual recognition activities.
- Manage donor records in Raiser’s Edge including reporting, tracking, coding preferences and proactively monitoring upcoming relationship-building tasks. During peak fundraising seasons, serve as backup to donation data entry and gift order fulfillment.
- Work with spreadsheet, database, presentation and word processing software packages in the preparation of requested documents
- Provide broad administrative support to entire team, including serving as first point of contact for all office visitors, creating a welcoming office environment, monitoring, restocking and ordering supplies as needed.
- Serve as liaison for a variety of vendors including suppliers for print and office needs, IT support, notary services, water and fruit delivery, building maintenance, state registration company, etc.
- Occasionally conduct donor research and summarize results for CEO.
- Think strategically about ways to improve existing processes to increase efficiency and effectiveness.
- Respond to special requests from CEO and leadership team.
- 5+ years of Executive Administrative experience, preferably in a nonprofit environment providing one-to-one support to senior level staff.
- Passion for non-profit, donor service and international development and a commitment to advancing the status of women around the world.
- Able to quickly and positively react to new opportunities as they arise while managing existing and competing priorities.
- Excellent communications skills, both written and oral; ability to clearly and concisely articulate Fistula Foundation’s work and influence potential and existing donors.
- Able to work independently, but skilled at considering the needs and time constraints of multiple stakeholders for projects that will involve working across teams.
- Sound working knowledge of Raiser’s Edge (or similar database tools) and Microsoft Office (especially excel), conference call and cloud storage systems. Fast study of other technology platforms.
Our team prioritizes initiative, productivity, and teamwork. We celebrate the successes of our team and our partners. We value creativity and passion for our mission, while encouraging our teammates to live healthy lives.
We offer a generous, comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, a 403b match, and a significant vacation plan that begins in Year 1. We offer a competitive salary with potential for performance-based bonuses and opportunities for advancement.
We are proud of our supportive office culture, including gym memberships, fruit delivery, and a dog-friendly environment.