Internship Data Analyst Fellowship
As Central America’s first Center for Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Alterna aims to catalyze social entrepreneurship from the ground up and envisions a world in which the opportunity to ignite positive change exists in every context.
Alterna’s Fellowship Program is a trampoline for professionals who want to be on the frontline of the emerging fourth sector. Our program is designed to bring top talent from the most innovative international organizations to work with Alterna’s leadership team to maximize the organization’s impact and sustainability while getting hands-on experience with local entrepreneurs who otherwise lack access to high-quality business services.
As our Data Analyst Fellow, you will work directly with our Monitoring & Evaluation team, supporting us in strengthening out our data management system. Your specific responsibilities will include:
• Being responsible for the entire data managing process: collecting, entering, organizing and managing data into our Salesforce platform
• Troubleshooting and maintaining database results by setting and enforcing standards and controls, improving the effectiveness of the database tools and services
• Working closely to all departments and in particular to the Cultivation team to facilitate data collection from entrepreneurs and Alterna team members and streamline information flows
• Preparing for database expansion by studying plans and requirements, coordinating design and programming
• Updating job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities and reading professional publications to identify how to optimize constantly our data management system
• Running data analysis reports intended for the rest of the team to develop relevant and consistent strategies by informing the decision making process.
• Participating to the data collection process with entrepreneurs
POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
• Min. 1 year of professional experience as a data manager or relevant hands-on experience with CRM platforms – experience in using Salesforce is a plus
• A degree in Statistics, Econometric, Data analysis, Computer Science, IT or related fields – holding a Master degree is a plus
• Professional working proficiency in English and Spanish (verbal and writing)
• Proficiency in Office suite; Strong proficiency in Excel.
• Knowledge of a programming language (Python, C++, etc.) and/or statistical software (R, SPSS, STATA, etc.) is a plus
• Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, being able to communicate with different kind of interlocutors
• Flexibility, ability to work autonomously and proactively
• Contextual understanding and appreciation for the difficulties and rewards of working in a developing context
• 6 – 10 month commitment to working on the ground in Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Please note that the Fellowship is self-funded by the Fellow and that Alterna consistently looks to the top talent in our fellow pool as our primary source when hiring for long-term paid positions. In return of this investment of your talent and experience, you will get the unique opportunity to:
• Gain real world exposure to innovative approaches, ideas and best practices in the areas of Impact Investing and Social Entrepreneurship, including key contextual insights on what the entrepreneurial process consists of in Central America
• Connect with key actors in the social entrepreneurship field through Alterna’s network and open and expand your career trajectory
• Work with an international team of young and passionate professionals
• Be immersed in the vibrancy of Guatemalan culture