Full-Time Chief Operating Officer
Based in Kenya, BURN designs, produces and distributes East Africa’s best-selling, most durable and economical charcoal and wood cookstoves that also dramatically reduce harmful smoke emissions which can cause significant health problems, even death.
Not only does BURN sell the world’s most fuel-efficient charcoal and wood household stoves, but we are also the only cookstove company which manufactures all its products in sub-Saharan Africa’s only state-of-the-art clean cookstove manufacturing facility.
Since 2013, BURN has sold 650,000+ Jikokoa ™ stoves in East Africa. These stoves have helped 3,000,000 beneficiaries save $215 million in fuel expenditures and 2.6 million tons of wood while reducing indoor air pollution by 65%. BURN currently sells ~25,000 stoves per month and are on track to double sales over the next 12 months by expanding its successful model across Africa. BURN has 300 employees and expects strong growth in the number of employees in the coming years.
BURN is now poised to bring its revolutionary biomass cookstoves – as well as a new range of electric, hybrid, and liquid fuel stoves – to Sub-Saharan Africa & beyond. Over the next 3 years BURN will enter 6 new countries and launch 5 new products.
The COO will play a critical role in the success of the current business and build systems that will position the company for growth across the continent.
We are looking to hire a visionary COO to oversee our sales, innovation and production teams, as well as supporting our expansion across the continent. The COO will work closely with the existing senior management team to refine and execute the current strategic plan.
To ensure success you should have a clear understanding of our company’s core values and culture. Top candidates will be exemplary leaders, have superb business acumen and have sound understanding of business strategies.
- Work with Senior team to refine existing strategic plan
- Manage and Drive Commercial, Innovation and Production teams in Kenya
- Work with the CFO to fund growth and find efficiencies
- Sales and Innovation experience more essential than production/manufacturing experience
- Refinement of current operational processes
- Together with senior team, develop and implement strong operational SOPs that will support BURN entities across the continent
- Forecasting and P&L responsibility for departments
- Driving the company’s operating capabilities to surpass customer satisfaction and retention, and company goals.
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration.
- Five years’ experience managing operations in a complex enterprise
- Proven track record of outstanding performance in a previous complex enterprise.
- Proven track record of managing complex budgets successfully.
- Proven track record of developing and refining operational processes
- Strong leadership skills and experienced in leading large teams
- Demonstrated experience of ethical leadership.
- Outstanding verbal and written skills, and experience working with staff on all levels.
- Ability to make business projections three years into the future.
- Experience in sub-Saharan Africa
- Manufacturing Experience
- Operating or scaling an FMCG or Durable Good business in Sub-Saharan Africa