Full-Time Curriculum and Training Coordinator
Curriculum and Training Coordinator – Deeds Not Words
(Location: Austin, TX)
Deeds Not Words was founded by former Texas State Senator Wendy Davis to provide young people with the tools and training needed to make change today while learning important portable skills to become our leaders of tomorrow. With a presence at 19 high school and college chapters across Texas, we train young people in critical thinking and analysis; public speaking; effective persuasion and organizing. Our chapters engage directly in advocacy at the state and local level – testifying before school boards, city councils and the state legislature on an agenda driven by the desire to create a more gender-equitable world. Our chapters are also actively engaged in voter registration and turnout. We’ll be working to help them create a youth voter guide for the upcoming 2020 election cycle, including teaching our young advocates fundraising skills to help sustain their chapters and fund their advocacy efforts.
Deeds Not Words is seeking a dynamic leader to serve as our Curriculum and Training Coordinator.
75% of this individual’s time will be spent creating new and original curriculum for our Movement Mujeres (MM) fellowship program. A collaborative effort of Deeds Not Words and Jolt Initiative, the Movement Mujeres Fellowship aims to place women of color in key positions of power in government, philanthropic and social justice organizations, by investing in their leadership capacity through on-going training and mentorship.
Our Curriculum and Training Coordinator will report to our Political Director and collaborate with our Youth Outreach and Organizing Manager.
The ideal candidate will have experience in a fast-paced political or nonprofit environment, with experience in curriculum development, a record of navigating community and educational relationships, and a passion for inspiring and mentoring young people to shape gender equity.
How You’ll Contribute
Movement Mujeres (75% of your time)
- Develop curriculum and training agendas for our Movement Mujeres’ Fellowship Program and facilitate workshops during their quarterly gatherings
- Develop a curriculum for our Movement Mujeres mentorship program, including providing support to mentors as needed
- Provide guidance and mentorship to the Capstone Projects carried out by Movement Mujeres Fellows
- Host quarterly check-ins with MM Fellows to assess their learning needs and inform a curriculum for future gatherings
- Develop pre and post-assessments for MM gatherings
- Build relationships with community leaders and stakeholders within various cities in Texas, and invite them to participate at quarterly gatherings
- Define and delegate roles for MM Staff for gatherings and work alongside the MM Project Manager (hosted at Jolt Initiative)
Deeds Not Words (25% of your time)
- Collaborate with our Youth Organizing and Outreach Manager to create curriculum and facilitate trainings as part of our youth chapter work
- Provide logistical and training support in organizing a week-long middle school and high school summer organizing camp
- Provide logistical and training support in organizing advocacy days and rallies
- Create curriculum for additional organization programs
- 2-3 years of relevant work experience
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Bilingual Spanish/English preferred, but not required
- Demonstrated ability to foster issue advocacy through trainings and strategic communication
- Ability to work on and manage multiple projects at a time
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills to establish effective working relationships with teachers and school administrators
- Grasp of the current and past political landscape as it relates to gender equity in Texas
- A great passion for youth and proven dedication to social impact
- Position requires frequent travel
- Educators with classroom experience are highly encouraged to apply!
Salary and Benefits
- Annual Salary – $50K
- Health Benefits Provided by the Organization
- Generous Vacation Package
- One self-care day a month
- The position start date is January 6th, 2020
How to Apply
Please be sure to include your resume and cover letter to Amber Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Curriculum and Training Coordinator– [Full Name]” in the Subject line.
We recruit qualified candidates without regard to age, disability, marital status, protected veteran status, race or color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity or expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Join us. We’re the Changemakers.