Full-Time Deputy Director, Research & Program Support FosterEd
National Center for Youth Law
The National Center for Youth Law (NCYL) is a nonprofit law firm that for over four decades has worked to ensure marginalized children have the resources, support, and opportunities they need for healthy and productive lives. We weave together a variety of strategies – including research, policy advocacy, and litigation – to ensure the systems intended to support marginalized children do so effectively. As a national organization we advocate and bring litigation in state and federal court.
NCYL’s mission includes advancing social, economic, and racial justice for children, and we are committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of equity, diversity, and inclusion. We embrace and encourage the collective sum of individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, innovation, self-expression, unique capabilities, and talent our employees invest in their work that represents a significant part of not only our culture, but our reputation and organization’s success.
FosterEd (www.foster-ed.org) is a NCYL initiative aimed at improving the educational outcomes of children and youth in state care. FosterEd operates in Arizona, California, Indiana, and New Mexico and strives to ensure that every foster and probation-involved youth has an educational champion and an education team supporting his or her success in school. Our goal is that every young person in care will graduate from high school with a wide array of possibilities for their future.
NCYL seeks a Deputy Director, Research & Program Support to join our FosterEd team. The FosterEd team focuses on improving the educational experiences and outcomes of students in foster care, students involved in the juvenile justice system, and students experiencing homelessness or housing instability. One of our core strategies is to develop and implement demonstration sites, in which Education Liaisons directly serve system-involved students and students facing homelessness. This position will focus on advancing FosterEd’s work throughout California and Arizona as well as potential future sites throughout the country. This position will report to the FosterEd Director.
- Tracking research, legislative, and policy changes and best practices related to serving system-involved and homeless youth, and working with the FosterEd Director and state directors to meaningfully incorporate this into overall planning, project development, and policy initiatives
- Conducting research and analysis to support program implementation
- Drafting and managing contracts and MOUs with FosterEd’s external partners
- Supporting implementation of FosterEd’s practice model for serving students in California, Arizona and future program sites
- Developing resources for use in FosterEd program sites
- Supervising FosterEd’s Data and Technology Manager, who develops and manages the education case management system used by FosterEd Education Liaisons
- Working with state directors to track and use programmatic data to conduct program fidelity reviews and inform work
- Supporting program evaluation efforts, in partnership with FosterEd state directors and external evaluators, and preparing reports to share insights about FosterEd’s work and lessons learned
- J.D. degree and admitted to practice, or advanced degree in another relevant field
- At least three years of experience in a relevant field (such as law, child welfare, education, juvenile justice, or social services)
- Experience at the intersection of multiple public systems (e.g. child welfare and education)
- Excellent analytic and writing skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects, deadlines, and deliverables
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Knowledge of the educational and other challenges facing system-involved youth
- Creative problem-solving and solution-orientation to addressing challenges
- Commitment to NCYL’s overarching goals and objectives
- Ability and willingness to travel to FosterEd sites in California and Arizona and elsewhere, as needed
- Experience supervising staff and/or leading teams
- Experience in the education field
- Experience in the child welfare field
- Experience in the juvenile justice field
Salary, Benefits and Location
This is a full-time position that will be located in Oakland or Sacramento, California. Salary is a range of $82,000 – $91,000 annually. *Applicants in Sacramento must have the ability to commute to Oakland weekly and a cost-of-labor adjustment will apply depending on the location of the candidate.
NCYL provides health, dental, life, short and long-term disability insurance, vacation and sick benefits, sabbatical, and an employer contribution to a retirement plan.