Full-Time Development Manager
The New York Asian Women’s Center (NYAWC) works with survivors of gender-based violence to rise above trauma and build a path to healing. We bring critical resources and deep cultural competency to help Asian communities find refuge, recovery and renewal. We work with survivors of domestic violence, human trafficking, and sexual violence across the lifespan. With a $4.9 million annual budget, NYAWC offers a 24/7 hotline; counseling and case management services for survivors and their children; emergency residential and transitional housing; and, immigration legal services, along with other support services. NYAWC seeks a Development Manager to support year-round fundraising efforts for a rapidly expanding agency.
Annually, NYAWC raises over 80% of its funds through Federal, State and City grants and the rest through foundations, corporations and individuals. NYAWC is working to diversify its funding streams and increase its private contributions over the next 2-3 years. In addition to the position we are looking to fill, the Development Department is comprised of a Director of Development, Manager of Volunteer Engagement, and a Development Associate, as well as a part-time Communications Coordinator. The department is also supported by volunteers, as needed.
The Development Manager is a high-level fundraising and communications generalist in the department. (S)he serves as the agency’s primary government and foundation grant writer and manages the portfolio of federal, state, and city grants, which compose 80% of NYAWC’s annual $4.9 million budget. The Development Manager supports the Director of Development in prospecting and cultivating relationships with lapsed, existing, and new foundations. The Development Manager also writes and supports annual mail and direct response campaigns per year. This position supervises and mentors the Development Associate and Development Volunteer(s). The Development Manager is a 5-day a week, Full-Time position with benefits, and officially reports to the Development Director.
• Manage 20+ grant and contract portfolio composing 80% of NYAWC’s annual $4.9 million budget.
• Act as agency’s lead Government and Foundation grant writer.
• Strategize with Executive Leadership and Program Managers to develop new programs.
• Prospect research, cultivate, and manage relationships with Foundation funders.
• Liaise between Program and Fiscal Departments to meet funder requirements.
• Support and execute annual appeals and multiple direct response campaigns each year.
• Support the Director of Development, Executive Director, and Board of Directors in the annual gala and individual donor cultivation events.
• Supervise and mentor Development Associate and Development Volunteer(s).
• 2-3 years of relevant non-profit fundraising experience.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong organization, multi-tasking, attention to detail, research and analytical skills.
• Highly motivated with ability to work in a collaborative, team environment.
• Proactive with ability to work independently and to problem-solve.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, and open to flexible hours around fundraising events, including some evenings and weekends.
• Strong interest in the area of violence against women and/or Asian communities.
• BA required, Asian language a plus.