Full-Time Director of Fund Development & Institutional Partnerships
WORK FOR AN AWARD-WINNING NON-PROFIT SOCIAL ENTERPRISE
Job Title: Director of Fund Development and Institutional Partnerships
Industry: Non-profit/International Development
Function: Fund and Partnership Development
Job Location: U.S. – preferably Denver, San Francisco, Washington, D.C. or New York City
Start Date: Immediate
Term: At-will employment
Salary: Competitive, based on experience
WHO WE ARE
Founded in 2004, Build Change is an innovative international non‐profit social enterprise whose mission is to save lives in earthquakes and hurricanes. We do that by designing disaster-resistant houses and schools; training homeowners, builders, engineers and government officials to build them; working with governments to develop and implement building standards; partnering with the private sector to improve building materials quality and create jobs; and facilitating access to incentive-based capital for reconstruction and retrofitting by partnering with financing institutions and government subsidy programs.
Build Change is the recipient of multiple awards, including a 2017 Skoll Foundation Award for Social Entrepreneurship, OpenIDEO Urban Resilience Challenge Winner, and was a top three finalist in IBM’s inaugural Call for Code Developer Challenge in 2018.
To learn more about us and our programs in Haiti, Indonesia, Colombia, Guatemala, Philippines, Nepal and the Caribbean, visit www.buildchange.org.
YOUR NEW OPPORTUNITY
As Director of Institutional Partnerships, you will lead Build Change’s institutional fund and partnership development efforts. You will develop, diversify and execute Build Change’s fundraising strategy and annual tactical plan, with a primary focus on prevention or pre-disaster mitigation programs. As a member of the senior management team, you will contribute to strategic planning and budgeting, and support your peers within our country programs by providing them with creative partnership strategies. You will also have the opportunity to work with the CEO, senior management team and board members in preparation for donor meetings and other fund development events and to collaborate with related staff of supporting foundations and partners.
You are prepared to supervise the Grant Writer and assist with researching, positioning, writing, cultivating and winning grant and contract proposals for donors, including development agencies such as USAID, development banks such as the World Bank, relief agencies such as American Red Cross, foundations, and corporate partners. You are also excited by the challenge to secure at least US$2M in grants or contracts in year 1, growing that to $5M per year by year 3.
The Director of Institutional Partnerships also holds the responsibility for preparation of fund development pipeline reports and partnership tracking reports, and management of Salesforce and other CRM tools. You will collaborate with the Director of Marketing & Communications and other development staff to produce appeals, newsletters, success stories, promotional videos, social media and other fund and partnership development collateral.
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE
- A proven record of raising funds from institutional partners on the order of at least $2M per year. You will be required to submit two writing samples, at least one of which will need to be a grant proposal. (Please redact as necessary.)
- Outstanding and outgoing interpersonal skills, a high energy level, and an ability to speak persuasively in front of large and small groups.
- Superior, professional and versatile writing, presentation, and communication skills with the ability to adapt based on audience.
- The ability to work independently and focus on details in addition to big-picture strategies, and also to actively lead and contribute to team goals.
Your experience includes:
- A minimum of 8 years in a similar professional position with demonstrated success in fund and partnership development.
- An advanced University degree.
- Professional experience in proposal writing for an international non-profit social enterprise or similar private sector business, with proven record of winning grants and contracts and exceeding fundraising or business development goals.
You are able to:
- Competently manage donor data management systems and have experience using Salesforce.
- Work independently, including some evenings and weekends, and travel as needed.
- Speak passionately about Build Change’s mission.
You would describe yourself as:
- Drama-free, optimistic, flexible, humble, patient, and having a good sense of humor.
- Pro-active, self-motivated, and able to work independently while also contributing fully as a team member.
- Fluent in English.
And maybe you also:
- Have worked in the Caribbean, Latin America, Asia or emerging nations.
- Have experience in international development or engineering consulting.
- Understand basic engineering and construction principles.
- Speak Spanish, French or any of the languages spoken in our program countries.
How to Apply
ARE YOU INTERESTED?
Then please visit www.buildchange.org/about/careers and select the link for this position. Applications will be accepted until filled. Qualified women and citizens of Build Change’s program countries are strongly encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No calls please.