Full-Time Exec. Assistant / Chief of Special Projects
WORK FOR AN AWARD-WINNING NON-PROFIT SOCIAL ENTERPRISE
Job Title: Executive Assistant/Chief of Special Projects
Industry: Non-profit/International Development
Function: Fund and Partnership Development
Job Location: Denver/South Denver suburbs
Start Date: Immediate
Term: At-will employment
Salary: Competitive, based on experience
Founded in 2004, Build Change is an award-wining non‐profit social enterprise whose mission is to save lives in earthquakes and hurricanes.
Build Change designs disaster-resistant houses and schools, trains homeowners, builders, engineers and government officials to build them, works with governments to develop and implement building standards, partners with the private sector to improve building materials quality and create jobs, and facilitates access to incentive-based capital for reconstruction and retrofitting by partnering with financing institutions and government subsidy programs. Build Change works in Indonesia, Haiti, Colombia, Guatemala, Nepal, the Philippines, and the Caribbean.
Build Change has trained more than 39,000 people on earthquake-resistant design and construction techniques, and has provided technical assistance for more than 58,300 safer buildings, impacting an estimated 304,440 people.
The Executive Assistant/Chief of Special Projects will be a key supporter of the CEO, working closely with senior management and HQ admin teams. Indications that this may be the right job for you:
- You take initiative and get things done. You are comfortable working independently and will seek input as needed when you take on new assignments. You make recommendations to create better ways of working and seek clarity when an obstacle is in your way.
- You are an outstanding writer, communicator and listener. You are a resourceful and quick researcher.
- You maintain confidence but enjoy collaboration. Your top priority is to support the CEO; however, you understand that a high functioning team is critical to success. You enjoy reaching out and building productive working relationships with people across all levels of the company.
- You are accountable and flexible. You have a keen attention to detail and are able to juggle multiple tasks, deadlines and stakeholders. You can adapt to changes in priority and you are not risk averse.
- You believe in Build Change’s mission and goal to drive bold, ambitious change in resilient housing.
Executive Assistant Responsibilities:
· Manage and maintain CEO’s calendar.
· Make business travel arrangements for CEO and manage and communicate travel itineraries, including finding meeting locations. Work closely with HQ admin team for support.
· Prepare CEO for travel and meetings, including creating presentations and reports, printing or preparing other resources. Includes preparing to show VR experiences, videos, demonstrate Build Change and Autodesk apps and tools, and other technologies.
· Assist with regular team meetings, including bi-weekly calls – prepare agendas, take notes, distribute minutes and presentations. Track action items, communicate status, and follow up with team members regarding action items and work product. · Follow up after meetings and integrate CEO meeting notes and other items into Salesforce and Google Drive.
· Support CEO during recruiting and annual performance reviews.
· Develop and maintain positive working relationships with staff, internal departments and outside parties, including high-level contacts of a sensitive nature. Manage information flow within and outside of CEO’s office. Serve as liaison by disseminating key communication pieces and distributing materials.
· Maintain confidential material related to employees and company operations.
· Provide administrative support to the CEO by acting as a facilitator and liaison, handling details of a highly confidential and critical nature to internal and external contacts.
Chief of Special Projects responsibilities:
· Complete special research, writing, and marketing projects as directed by the CEO. Examples include market research for entering new countries, outreach to partners after disaster, writing and collateral production for CEO’s social media accounts.
· Work with CEO and senior leadership on matters of strategy, team effectiveness, and operations. Champion and drive efforts across the team to improve team effectiveness and contribute to Build Change’s ongoing success and delivering high impact programs and being a great place to work.
· Have ambitions to grow into a Chief of Staff role.
- Minimum 8 years professional experience in a similar position in a corporate or social entrepreneurship setting, preferably with marketing experience
- BA, BS, or equivalent in business, marketing, or related field
- Thorough knowledge and enjoyment of administrative practices and procedures
- Superior organizational and communications skills, highly developed writing skills
- In-depth knowledge and proficiency of MS Office, including Outlook, Excel, Word, Web Meetings,Telepresence/video conferencing systems, Powerpoint, Gear VR, Revit and other tools
- Ability to establish credibility and rapport with senior executives and technical and non-technical team members alike
- Outstanding, outgoing interpersonal skills, high energy level, and ability to speak persuasively in front of large and small groups
- Competency with social media, donor data management systems and e-newsletters (such as Salesforce, Constant Contact, giving websites)
- Superior, professional and versatile writing, presentation, and communication skills with ability to adapt based on audience
- Ability to work independently, willingness to work evenings and weekends and travel as needed
- Knowledge of and passion for Build Change’s mission
- Understanding of basic engineering and construction principles is a strong plus
- Work experience in Haiti, Latin America, Caribbean, Asia or emerging nations a plus
- Language fluency in Spanish and French strong pluses
- No ego, drama, or pessimism; the successful candidate will be flexible, humble, patient, and have a good sense of humor