Full-Time Executive Director
About the Housing Industry Foundation
Founded in 1989, the Housing Industry Foundation (HIF) is an ambitious, unique non-profit on a mission to provide short-term relief and long-term solutions to individuals facing homelessness in San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties. In the fight against the Bay Area’s chronic homelessness crisis, our approach is three-pronged: immediate emergency housing grants, renovation and improvement projects for non-profit housing facilities, and long-term affordable housing solutions.
HIF knows that one grant can make a world of difference. Through our collaboration with emergency service organizations, HIF funds emergency housing grants of up to $2,500 in as little as 24 hours to provide the immediate bridge funding necessary to keep individuals and families in their homes. In 2015 alone, our emergency housing fund provided almost $475,000 in one-time grants to local residents facing crisis. HIF’s housing fund is not welfare – recipients must demonstrate the ability to meet future expenses. We are Silicon Valley’s “hidden angel,” offering a lifeline after unforeseen but temporary financial setbacks arise, such as medical bills, job loss, or a death in the family.
To improve living conditions for those beyond the reach of our one-time grants, HIF also undertakes large-scale renovations for non-profit housing shelters and transitional living facilities in the Bay Area ⎯ all at zero charge. HIF leverages its deep connections within the local housing community to gain the support of industry leaders who provide additional resources, funding, and skills for our renovation projects.
Our team is passionate about our cause. Come join us!
About the Executive Director
HIF is seeking an experienced, energetic, and compassionate Executive Director (ED) to lead our mission and grow our organization’s reach. The ED is based out of our San Mateo office and reports to the HIF Board of Directors’ Executive Committee. As a key member of the executive team, the ED oversees critical areas such as development, communications, and capacity building, and is assisted by a dedicated team. The ED is a critical voice in HIF’s continued visibility, sustainability, and ultimate impact on the local community.
Roles and Responsibilities
• Provide vision, strategic planning and forward thinking for the organization
• Work with the Executive Committee and a consultant to review and adjust existing Board composition and governance
• Develop, mentor and guide staff
• Provide oversight of HIF’s programs
• Develop annual budget
• Assume responsibility for managing the organization within the guidelines of budget
• Develop and implement a comprehensive development plan to include annual giving, major gifts, foundation proposals, corporate support, and special events
• Develop and implement a system to manage and move Board of Director contacts and leads to maximize fundraising success
• Along with the Board, plan and execute the annual fundraising event, The Summit Dinner. In addition, initiate and plan smaller fundraising events throughout the year
• Represent and effectively promote HIF at donor meetings, networking events, and HIF special events
• Develop a plan to increase the organization’s visibility in order to increase HIF’s name recognition and ultimately drive increased donations from organizations not within the Housing Community
• 7+ years in a senior position with a proven record of success in managing a team, diversifying funding streams and innovative thinking
• Self-starter with the ability to work independently
• The ability to manage staff in a collaborative and inclusive environment
• Strong, articulate leader with the ability to work effectively with an active and dedicated Executive Committee and Board
• Experience and ability in communicating the mission, vision, and goals to multiple audiences, and through formal proposals, correspondence and presentations
• Proven success in grant-writing
• Hands-on experience with successful event management and follow-up
• A strong writer; highly organized, creative, pro-active, and detail-oriented
• Working knowledge of the San Mateo and Santa Clara County corporate and philanthropic communities
Position is full-time. A competitive compensation and benefits package will be offered!
For more information on HIF, visit: www.hifinfo.org