Internship Internship – Compliance & Policy
About the Organization
CLASP serves as the leading international voice and resource for appliance energy efficiency policies and market acceleration initiatives. From advancing off-grid solar technologies, bringing power to energy-impoverished people, to cutting the catastrophic climate impacts of air conditioning, CLASP programs increase uptake of affordable, low-impact, high-quality appliances. We’re mission-driven, impact-focused, and committed to a culture of diversity, transparency, and collaboration. Learn more here.
CLASP seeks a highly motivated summer intern perform qualitative and quantitative research, data-related work, crafting insights, and developing case studies on compliance best practices. The Intern will support the CLASP Policy & Analysis team, which provides world-class technical and policy advisory services on product energy efficiency standards and labeling programs to government and other key stakeholders around the world. The Policy & Analysis team is currently implementing projects and programs in countries throughout Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America, and the Caribbean and the Intern would be part of a multi-disciplinary and multi-national project team, contributing to the design and development of compliance frameworks for appliance energy efficiency programs at regional and national levels in Southeast Asia and West Africa.
The Intern will conduct comprehensive research, add and update policy information for a selection of countries and regions, and support related communications efforts to promote several online resources hosted by CLASP which allow policymakers and standards and labelling (S&L) practitioners to:
- Compare appliance S&L policies and regulations across countries
- Explore specific information about those policies and conduct customized searches for policies by product, policy type, or economy
- View and understand the legislative framework and history of S&L programs in various countries and economic regions
The exact assignment(s) will depend both on our needs and on your skills, expertise and interest. For reference, potential projects could include:
- Collate and organize compliance related qualitative data from surveys and other research efforts for ECOWAS and ASEAN regions.
- Work with the project lead on data analysis and ways to present the information in the guidelines for building testing capacity for standards and labeling programs.
- Conduct research and write case studies on compliance best practices for energy efficiency.
- Gather data to support development of modeling tool for building testing capacity.
- Support efforts to update, increase coverage, and build the value of the CLASP Policy database.
- Conduct research into and update appliance energy efficiency policies in selected economies.
- Research and document updated [appliance energy efficiency] policy information in India and Southeast Asian economies, potentially including Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand, and Malaysia. A beginning template will be provided and explained in detail.
- Research and document [appliance energy efficiency] policies in economies to be added to the Database (using the template provided). This may include Central and South American economies such as Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Ecuador.
- Using the highest level of attention to detail, comprehensively review and update the database for consistency, clarity, and ease of use for analytics.
- Support communications efforts to promote the Policy Database, updates & improvements, and the user survey during summer 2019. This may involve drafting content for and supporting the development of articles for the CLASP newsletter or webpage, boilerplate or direct email messages, and tweets and other social media outreach.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative, public policy, or related field; may be either in progress, or completed within the past 6 months (if in progress, entering final undergraduate year preferred)
- Highly detail-oriented
- Knowledge of and experience with qualitative research methods
- Experience working with qualitative and quantitative data
- Highly motivated self-starter with entrepreneurial attitude and strategic approach to learning and problem-solving
- Excellent writing skills
- Professional demeanor; ability to comport in a diverse, international work environment
- Knowledge of energy efficiency policy and Montreal Protocol highly desirable
- Outstanding collaborator and team player with well-honed listening and interpersonal skills
- Time management and organizational skills with ability to manage multiple tasks at once
- Ability to read French and/or Spanish is a plus
- Proficient in Excel
Compensation will be provided at a competitive, hourly rate. Class credit may be available and will be provided in accordance with your university’s policy.