Full-Time Manager, Strategy, Learning & Impact
Location: San Francisco, CA or Washington, DC
ABOUT HUMANITY UNITED:
Humanity United is a foundation dedicated to bringing new approaches to global problems that have long been considered intractable. We build, lead, and support efforts to change the systems that contribute to problems like human trafficking, mass atrocities, and violent conflict. HU is part of the Omidyar Group, which represents the philanthropic, personal and professional interests of the Omidyar family.
Humanity United (HU) is seeking a highly self-motivated, creative, and organized Manager, who will serve as an integral member of HU’s Strategy, Learning and Impact department. The Manager will support a range of organizational learning and development efforts, including advancing HU’s own research, monitoring, evaluation, and learning work to inform strategy.
This role will support the Director of Strategy, Learning and Impact by informing strategy development, outcome monitoring, and the evaluation of HU’s strategic initiatives. This role will also undertake research to inform HU’s ongoing emergent learning mindset, including new approaches to working in complex environments with intractable problems. Ultimately, this role will help to evaluate both immediate programmatic impacts and assess how those impacts contribute to sustainable systems-level social change.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Provide support to Investment staff who are embedded in various program areas, which includes assisting at country-level with developing hypothesis chains/theories of change, designing evaluation frameworks and tools, data collection, verification, analysis and reporting.
• Partner with communications team to ensure that accurate and compelling data is integrated into key communications messages.
• Conduct research on new approaches and tools and engage with academic and research partners in order to help HU continually learn and benefit from the newest evidence.
• Develop, implement, and manage internal processes for conducting ongoing outcomes measurement and assessment to ensure cohesive, consistent, high quality data collection and analysis.
• Develop tools to help investment teams summarize and report impact of grants on recipients and communities against overall program goals.
• Provide assistance and support to grantees to help strengthen their capacity to practice integrated strategic planning, learning and evaluation.
• Contribute to developing and implementing strategy, monitoring, reporting training for staff.
• Contribute a strong evaluation and impact assessment perspective to strategy development, grantmaking and initiative reviews, and application discussions.
• Support the learning processes and capacity of HU’s partners, including grantees and co-funders.
• Promote a culture of reflection, learning, and data-based decision making.
• Reflect HU’s approach to strategy, learning, and impact with the broader Omidyar Group of organizations, which are representative of the interests of HU’s founders.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATIONS:
• Social impact measurement background with demonstrated technical expertise in both quantitative and qualitative research methods, tool design, validation, and data analysis.
• Strong ability to develop and test theories of change.
• Experience in measurement in the human rights, peacebuilding, human trafficking, labor migration, or comparable fields.
• Experience developing and testing new approaches to assessing impact in complex environments, including but not limited to behavioral economics, design thinking, emergent learning and complexity, social network analysis, and comparative models.
• Understanding of systems thinking and complexity science.
• Strong problem solving skills combined with a track record of pivoting in response to opportunities and challenges.
• Demonstrated self-starter, able to work independently, with experience working in entrepreneurial organizations.
• Client service mindset highly desired.
• Highly versatile skills and “roll up the sleeves” attitude.
• Excellent project management skills.
• A team player who is able to share information and collaborate effectively across multiple functions and geographies, with both internal and external partners.
• Demonstrated ability to produce results in a high-performance environment.
• High tolerance for ambiguity, and ability to adapt to changing priorities, strategic frameworks and definitions of success.
• Demonstrated flexibility and non-dogmatic approach to strategy, learning and impact.
• Deep sense of curiosity, with an interest in learning and ability to turn learnings into actionable strategies.
• Outstanding interpersonal, communication, relationship-building and negotiation skills (i.e. ability to listen as well as persuade).
• Prior work in a non-profit or philanthropic environment is highly desirable
• Demonstrated commitment to international development and creating a positive social impact
• Ability to travel both domestically and internationally as needed to perform the job (10% – 20%).
• Post-graduate degree with emphasis on international development and applied social science research methods preferred
• A background in assessment related specifically to impact investing, media, and/or policy advocacy is a bonus.