Full-Time Parent Advocate
Founded in 1975, The Help Group is the largest, most innovative and comprehensive nonprofit of its kind in the United States serving children with special needs related to autism spectrum disorder, learning disabilities, ADHD, developmental delays, abuse and emotional problems.
POSITION: Parent Advocate – FSP
Minimum high school diploma. Past consumer of county-related or similar services, successfully transitioned to self-sufficiency. Qualifying candidate will have had personal experience of interacting with the system such as DCFS, DMH, Probation themselves or youth under their careAble to functions as part of a multi-disciplinary team. Familiarity with principles of family-centered, strengths-based services. Knowledge of the community resources. Typing and basic computer skills required. Bilingual in Spanish required.
• Facilitate family’s involvement in all aspects of the FSP process.
• Provide family support and acts as advocate for family.
• Assist family to have a voice in advocating for their needs.
• Model and coach family in areas such as communication skills, anger management, problem solving, stress management, appropriate discipline, developmental milestones/capabilities, and parenting skills.
• Provide in-home direct service to families.
• Assist families with contacting and following through with community resources.
• Perform paperwork responsibilities within deadline requirements.
• Interface with DCFS, DMH, court systems, juvenile hall, schools and other community liaisons.
• Ensure 24-hour availability and crisis intervention on an as needed basis. Participate in the development of appropriate crisis plans.
• Arrange work schedule or required hours to the benefit of the FSP Program with the approval of the FSP Program Coordinator.
The Help Group offers wonderful training opportunities, a supportive, professional work environment and great benefits, including:
• Excellent benefits, including a 100% employer-sponsored health insurance plan
• Dental, vision, and life insurance
• 403b retirement plan
• Flexible Spending Account
• Vacation and Sick Leave