Full-Time Philanthropy Associate
About Fistula Foundation:
An estimated one million women in Africa and Asia suffer from obstetric fistula, a debilitating childbirth injury that leaves a woman incontinent and, as a result, too often abandoned by her family and shunned by her community. We are in business to end this needless suffering. Surgery is the only cure, which we deliver through partners in more than 20 countries.
Over the last decade we have emerged as the global leader in fistula treatment, treating more women in more places that even the United Nations or the US government. We are raising four times as much money as we were a decade ago and treating 15 times as many women. But, we are far from done and we are building a team to help us end fistula in a generation.
True to our Silicon Valley roots, Fistula Foundation is dynamic and growth oriented. We pride ourselves on being run like a successful financially disciplined for-profit organization; the big difference is our bottom line is measured not in earnings per share or profit, but in the number of women we are able to help. It also means that we “lean hard” into technology and the efficiencies it brings, enabling us to do more with fewer resources. Fistula Foundation is committed to delivering results against our mission and aspires to the values of the Effective Altruism movement.
We have the dynamism of a lean start-up team with the stability of a mature organization, including a $14M reserve, which includes a nearly $8M endowment. Our supporters love to share stories about how we’ve touched their lives, as seen in more than 600 stories GreatNonprofits.org. We have 13 years of 4-star Charity Navigator ratings, along with a consistent “A” from Charity Watch. And, we have earned the recognition of high-profile leaders including Pulitzer-Prize winner Nicholas Kristof, Grammy winner Paul Simon, and internationally renowned ethicist Peter Singer.
We seek a Philanthropy Associate who is eager to work closely with the Director of Philanthropy to support her and the CEO’s work cultivating, soliciting, and closing major gifts. Our ideal candidate will possess strong communications and project management skills and is comfortable working in an entrepreneurial culture where teamwork is crucial for effectively coordinating deadlines and workstreams. The Philanthropy Associate will be an integral part of our team that provides excellent high-touch engagement of major donors. We hope to provide valuable opportunities for career growth to the person who accepts this position. Your ambition to drive the growth of our major gift program and capacity and desire to step into a donor-facing role in the future, are key qualities we will seek in this candidate.
- Provide project management and communications support for the Fistula Foundation major gifts program.
- Coordinate customization of mailings to major donors with the Director of Philanthropy, CEO, and rest of the development team.
- Craft custom proposals and reports and execute unique cultivation and stewardship for major donors and prospects in coordination with the Director of Philanthropy.
- Conduct donor research and philanthropy sector landscaping and summarize results.
- Engage with program and communications staff to incorporate partner and patient success stories into fundraising solicitations and donor communications materials.
- Provide logistical and administrative support for events and travel programs.
- Regularly track and report on major gift program metrics, including trends, wins, and challenges.
- Think strategically about ways to improve existing processes to increase efficiency and effectiveness.
- Respond to special requests from The Director of Philanthropy and CEO.
- 2-3 years of some combination of nonprofit, communications, or project management experience.
- Passion for international development and commitment to advancing the status of women around the world.
- Able to quickly and positively react to new opportunities as they arise while managing existing and competing priorities.
- Excellent communications skills, both written and oral; ability to clearly and concisely articulate Fistula Foundation’s work and influence potential and existing donors.
- Able to work independently, but skilled at considering the needs and time constraints of multiple stakeholders for projects that will involve working across teams.
- Enjoys networking and has a genuine interest in meeting new people and learning their story.
- Sound working knowledge of Raiser’s Edge and Microsoft Office (especially excel), and cloud storage systems. Fast study of other technology platforms.
Our team prioritizes initiative, productivity, and teamwork. We celebrate the successes of our team and our partners. We value creativity and passion for our mission, while encouraging our teammates to live healthy lives.
We offer a generous, comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, a 403b match, and a significant vacation plan that begins in Year 1. We offer a competitive salary with potential for performance-based bonuses and opportunities for advancement.
We are proud of our supportive office culture, including gym memberships, fruit delivery, and a dog-friendly environment.