Full-Time Program Assistant
The David and Lucile Packard Foundation (Foundation) is a family foundation that is guided by the enduring business philosophy and personal values of Lucile and David Packard, who helped found one of the world’s leading technology companies. Their approach to business and community participation has guided our philanthropy. Today, their children and grandchildren continue to help guide the work of the Foundation. Located in Los Altos, CA, the Foundation makes grants at the local, state, national, and international level.
We work on the issues our founders cared about most, which are improving the lives of children; enabling the creative pursuit of science; advancing reproductive health; conserving and restoring the earth’s natural systems; and supporting and strengthening an array of local nonprofit organizations.The Foundation plans to make grantmaking awards of approximately $300M. A staff of 120 conducts the day-to-day operations and a Board of Trustees oversees the work of the Foundation. David and Lucile Packard passed on to the Foundation the following core set of values: integrity; respect for all people; belief in individual leadership; commitment to effectiveness; and the capacity to think big.
We are looking for a Program Assistant to join our team in a two-year limited-term role to support programs across the Foundation with grantmaking and administrative support. The successful candidate will be flexible, detail-oriented, enjoy learning, and have the demonstrated skills to work effectively with others. This person enjoys a variety of work and has the desire to contribute to the work of the Foundation and its grantees. This position will be a member of the Organizational Effectiveness team and will provide support across the various grantmaking departments in the Foundation at different times as needed. The Program Assistant will report to the Program Operations Manager, Organizational Effectiveness and Evaluation and Learning.
• Support grantmaking teams in the review process of the grant portfolio from proposal invitation through post-award
• Assist with organizing, maintaining, and updating electronic grant files
• Compose and/or proofread general correspondence, memos, grant summaries, and other documents
• Assist with tracking grantee report deadlines and reviewing reports as needed
• Assist with special events and Foundation-hosted meetings
• Organize, schedule, and take notes at meetings
• Update and file team documents in SharePoint
• Participate in Foundation-related activities
• Assist in other projects, as needed
• Other administrative duties as requested
Skills and Requirements
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Excellent grasp of technology and computer skills, including working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and Outlook
• Excellent judgment and attention to detail
• Ability to meet deadlines and to multi-task
• Highly organized and efficient
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated skills in working well and flexibly as a team member
• Ability to represent the Foundation and to interact with all in a professional, courteous, and tactful manner
• Ability to build relationships that smooth work internally with other departments
• Ability to exercise judgment in screening phone calls and mail, and in handling confidential information
Candidate must have the ability to communicate via voice telephone, read and understand written communication, and generate written communication manually and using a computer. Candidate must also be able to work at a desk for long periods of time (2-3 hours), lift and move documents and supplies (not to exceed 25 lbs.), and bend to file or retrieve documents.
Education and Experience
BA degree preferred or equivalent education and experience with a minimum of 3 years of relevant administrative support work experience
Benefits, Compensation, and Duration
The Foundation offers an excellent benefits package and a salary that is commensurate with related work experience. This is a two-year limited-term, full-time, nonexempt position that is located in downtown Los Altos, CA.