Full-Time Program Manager
POSITION: Program Manager
SV2 seeks a dynamic, thoughtful, and highly collaborative social impact professional to lead key elements of SV2’s grantmaking and impact investing work, capacity building support for Grantees, and donor education programming.
About SV2- Silicon Valley Social Venture Fund
SV2 – Silicon Valley Social Venture Fund is a vibrant giving network of more than 200 Partners who come together to learn about effective giving and pool their money and talent to support promising social ventures throughout Silicon Valley and the world.
SV2’s donor “Partners” bring together their skills, energy, ideas, and capital to make a bigger, more meaningful difference than any one person could make alone. SV2’s Partners together decide which emerging, innovative nonprofits and social enterprises will receive SV2’s grants and impact investments. Our grants are intended to invest in the organization’s overall capacity, rather than to fund any specific program. Partners select Grantees and mission-aligned for-profit companies that have high-potential models and are at crucial inflection points in their development, where engagement with SV2 can have a transformative impact on their work.
Founded in 1998 by Laura Arrillaga-Andreessen, SV2 embraces two main goals: 1) to build the organizational capacity of our Grantees so they can increase their effectiveness and impact; 2) to inspire and build the philanthropic skills of our Partners and their families. We pursue the first aspect of our mission by providing our Grantees multi-year funding to help them build infrastructure and scale their impact, along with pro bono advising and strategic support from individual Partners and Partner teams. We pursue our second aspect of our mission by offering: experiential grantmaking programs, and engaging learning and skill-building sessions; volunteer and service opportunities for adults, teenagers and younger children; and networking opportunities within our diverse, impact-oriented Partnership. SV2’s funding comes primarily from our Partner families and foundations. SV2’s office and community meeting space is located at the Sobrato Center for Nonprofits – Redwood Shores.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
SV2 seeks a dynamic, thoughtful, and highly collaborative social impact professional to lead key elements of SV2’s grantmaking and impact investing work, capacity building support for Grantees, and donor education programming. The Program Manager will work collaboratively with SV2 Partner leaders and other staff colleagues to design, implement and evaluate these core lines of SV2’s programming. This SV2 team member will play a key role on a small staff team that works flexibly and collaboratively in service of both our Partners’ development as effective philanthropists and our Grantees’ and Impact Investees’ success. This position reports to SV2’s Chief Operating and Portfolio Officer.
Grantmaking, Impact Investing and Family Philanthropy Programs (50%)
- In close collaboration with SV2 Partner leaders and staff colleagues, lead key elements of SV2’s grantmaking and impact investing work, including vision and strategy, program management and execution, and evaluation of group processes and outcomes.
- Coach and support volunteer Partner leaders in conceptualizing and facilitating high-quality experiential grant rounds that engage and teach Partners about grantmaking and impact investing.
- Support Partners in all phases of the grantmaking and impact investing process, including selection of grant and investment focus area(s), creation of a robust pipeline of high-quality potential grantees and impact investees, selection of grantees and impact investees, and knowledge capture and sharing of lessons learned.
- Coordinate with and support SV2’s contracted providers for the SV2 Teens grantmaking program and the SV2 Kids service learning program.
Capacity Building “Beyond the Dollars” Support for Grantees (15%)
- Manage relationship with SV2 grantees for the duration of their time in the SV2 portfolio.
- Manage all aspects of SV2’s provision of high-quality Beyond-the-Dollars support to SV2’s grantee portfolio.
- Facilitate, with grantee input, the selection of Lead Partners to serve as the central liaison between grantees and the SV2 Partnership; support, train and connect Lead Partners as needed so they can be successful in their role.
- Engage with a subset of SV2 Partners interested in volunteering their time and skills in service of helping strengthen grantees’ organizational capacity and ability to achieve their missions.
- Evaluate and continue to improve this core SV2 offering over time.
Donor Education (35%)
- In partnership with staff colleagues, design and implement donor education programming for Partners, including workshops and seminars designed to empower SV2 Partners in their philanthropic journeys.
- Research and identify outstanding speakers and thought leaders outside SV2 to deliver content for workshops; coordinate and facilitate their contribution through administrative and thought partnership support.
- Evaluate impact and capture lessons learned in service of continuous improvement of SV2’s donor education programming.
- Deep passion for the mission, model, core values and work of SV2
- Superior, detail-oriented written and oral communication skills
- Outstanding group and meeting facilitation skills
- Experience working with emerging and seasoned philanthropists and nonprofit boards
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship skills, including ability to communicate and collaborate with a wide variety of people; manage and incorporate diverse feedback; inspire and hold accountable teams of volunteers; and manage differing viewpoints and bring people into consensus
- Demonstrated success working effectively in a highly collaborative, fast-paced environment where flexibility is required
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, and participate as a highly effective team member
- Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent judgment, diplomacy, problem-solving skills, and service orientation
- Experience in the field of nonprofit grantmaking and/or impact investing is highly desirable
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described in this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to spend extended hours at the computer.
This position requires out-of-town travel roughly one-two times per year with advance notice for conferences and key meetings, as well as multiple evening and some weekend events.
Total compensation package:
- Salary for this full-time exempt position is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- PPO health insurance plan, vision and dental plan
- 403(b) retirement plan with employer match up to 3% of annual salary
- Paid holidays (seven days with five additional flex days) and Paid Time Off (15 days/year in first three years)
- Professional development stipend of approximately $1,000 per year.
- Training and connecting with other Social Venture Partners International network staff is available electronically throughout the year and occasionally in out-of-town locations.