Full-Time Senior Communications Manager
About Fistula Foundation:
An estimated one million women in Africa and Asia suffer from obstetric fistula, a debilitating childbirth injury that leaves a woman incontinent and, as a result, too often abandoned by her husband and shunned by her community. The only cure is surgery, which we deliver through our innovative programs in Kenya and Zambia, and with partners in more than 20 other countries including the Democratic Republic of Congo and Bangladesh. In 2009, we reached approximately 500 women a year; by 2020, we’ll reach 8,000 a year. Quite simply, these surgeries transform women’s lives—and their families’ lives–forever
We have the dynamism of a lean start-up team with the stability of a mature organization, including a $10M reserve. We receive the highest ratings from every industry watchdog group including 11 consecutive years of 4-stars from Charity Navigator, and consistent “A” grades from CharityWatch. Our supporters love to share stories about how we’ve touched their lives, as seen in the 600 stories on GreatNonprofits.org, making us the top health charity on their site. We’ve also earned the recognition of high-profile leaders, from Pulitzer Prize winner Nicholas Kristof and Grammy winner Paul Simon, to internationally renowned ethicist Peter Singer.
We are seeking a motivated, creative, and talented communications professional to guide our communications strategy. This individual will lead a team of three professionals to ideate, define, and implement a broadscale communications plan across diverse print and digital channels, including auditing and redesigning our website. Successful candidates will be perceptive, dedicated and driven, and have a keen sense of audience. Fistula Foundation has a strong base of loyal supporters and partners around the world. Your opportunity is to leverage our compelling track record to heighten awareness of our work and strengthen donor loyalty. If you bring passion and believe you could be a changemaker, we would love to meet you.
- Create, implement, and manage communications strategies across diverse channels, including in-house video creation, email outreach, annual reports, newsletters, and social media
- Innovate and redesign the Fistula Foundation website
- Lead a dedicated communications team
- Engage effectively with teammates and consultants to thoughtfully plan an annual calendar and execute several successful campaigns
- Define and develop our strategic communications plan across all audiences and partners in collaboration with the CEO and senior leadership.
- Create new, consistent messaging to raise our local and global awareness and profile
- Manage the development and distribution of all print and electronic publications including our website, emails, programmatic marketing collateral, and donor outreach materials
- Lead the creation of online content (including video and social media) that engages different audiences and drives measurable results
- Build relationships with partner organizations to explore relevant opportunities to collaborate
- Be an evangelist for the Foundation and its goals
- Seek new ways to create awareness of and support for the Foundation with donors, the press, and key policy opinion leaders
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Proven communications talent with 7+ years relevant experience including previous experience leading communications strategy
- Demonstrated experience managing and developing communications professionals
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Stellar interpersonal, team leadership and project management skills
- Innovative, clear-thinking self-starter with a genuine passion to make positive change
- Integrity, humility, optimism, sense of humor, and strong work ethic all required
- Flexible and creative, with natural aptitude for the big picture
- Knowledge of current trends and multimedia platforms, and creative thinker in the use of digital and emerging media technologies
- Strong organizational management skills, with capacity to effectively manage multiple priorities ranging from strategic planning to executing to evaluating
- Collaborative leadership style with a proven ability to inspire, support and motivate colleagues, Board members, consultants and partners to achieve goals
- Demonstrated success in developing and maintaining relationships with colleagues, partners, and industry influencers
- Extensive knowledge of all areas of communications, and, ideally, nonprofit development as well
- Experience with or demonstrated interest in international poverty alleviation and/or the advancement of women is strongly preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree required
Compensation, Benefits, and Culture: Fistula Foundation offers a comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, a 403b match, and a generous personal time plan that begins in Year 1. We also offer a competitive salary with potential for bonuses and increases based on performance.
Our team prioritizes initiative, productivity, and teamwork. We celebrate the successes of our team and our partners. We value creativity and passion for our mission, while encouraging our teammates to live healthy lives. We’re a dog-friendly office with weekly fruit delivery, paid gym (YMCA) memberships, and a supportive office culture.