Full-Time Senior Director of Philanthropy
About Fistula Foundation
An estimated one million women in Africa and Asia suffer from obstetric fistula, a debilitating childbirth injury that leaves a woman incontinent and, as a result, too often abandoned by her family and shunned by her community. Surgery is the only cure, which we deliver through partners in more than 20 countries including Ethiopia and Bangladesh, as well as through our innovative countrywide programs in Kenya and Zambia. This spring we’ll provide our 50,000th surgery.
We are demonstrating to the world that a new mindset and approach to women’s health can change the trajectory of women’s life and drastically impact local communities.
We have the dynamism of a lean start-up team with the stability of a mature organization, including a $14M reserve. Our supporters love to share stories about how we’ve touched their lives, as seen in more than 680 stories on GreatNonprofits.org. We have 13 years of 4-star Charity Navigator ratings, along with a consistent “A” from Charity Watch. And we have earned the recognition of high-profile leaders including Pulitzer Prize winner Nicholas Kristof, Grammy winner Paul Simon, and internationally renowned ethicist Peter Singer.
We seek a seasoned, deeply experienced fundraising leader with a proven ability to build and strengthen relationships with new and existing major donors, and to generate significant new revenue. Major donor revenue fuels our ambitious goals, including geographic and programmatic expansion initiatives from our strategic plan. The new Senior Director of Philanthropy will develop a visionary plan to engage new supporters to fund a multi-year program plan to significantly expand Fistula Foundation’s global impact, thereby strengthening our international movement of dedicated supporters. The new Senior Director will lead a small team of major gift professionals, and work closely with the Senior VP for Development, VP of Communications, Chief Executive Officer, and will report to our Senior VP for Development.
- Build and strengthen relationships with a portfolio of 150-200 major donors.
- Create and lead a multi-year plan to grow our revenue base in support of an ambitious new program plan, working closely with the CEO and Senior Vice President of Development.
- Cultivate existing major donors and major donor prospects in pursuit of multi-year gifts to fuel our geographic and program expansion.
- Source new major donor prospects to increase the fundraising pipeline.
- Craft custom proposals and execute unique cultivation methods for major donor prospects
- Mentor and supervise team members who solicit and steward gifts of $10,000 and above, including planned gifts.
- Work closely with the Development Team to coordinate creative and persuasive donor communication materials.
- Engage with program staff to incorporate partner success stories into fundraising solicitations and donor communication materials.
- Conduct at least one trip to donors per month (regional), as well as an occasional international donor trip.
Our new Senior Director of Philanthropy brings a depth of experience, wisdom and gravitas in strengthening major donor relationships and genuine enthusiasm and passion for connecting one-on-one with donors and prospects. A strong track record of success in identifying, cultivating, and soliciting multi-year gifts of over $10K from individual donors is critical. We expect the successful candidate will have at least eight years of experience cultivating and soliciting major gifts. The new Senior Director of Philanthropy will exhibit the following qualities:
- Commitment to our mission, vision, and values
- Honed listening and relationship building skills
- Sense of humor
- Humble self-confidence
Our team prioritizes initiative, productivity, and teamwork. We celebrate the successes of our team and our partners. We value creativity and passion for our mission, while encouraging our teammates to live healthy lives.
We offer a generous, comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, a 403b match, and a significant vacation plan that begins in Year 1. We offer a competitive salary with potential for performance-based bonuses and opportunities for advancement.
We are proud of our supportive office culture, including gym memberships, fruit delivery, and a dog-friendly environment.