Full-Time Senior Manager, US Strategy – Private Sector Partnerships
Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance is a public-private partnership that brings the private sector together with global leaders in health and development to deliver life-saving vaccines to children in the world’s poorest countries. Since its inception, Gavi has worked with the private sector to mobilize resources, develop skills-based partnerships and advocate for immunization. This potential of the private sector expands well beyond fundraising. Gavi is now entering a new phase of engagement in the United States and is looking for experienced and strategic talent to lead this work and invest with the private sector to ensure all children have a healthy start in life.
This position will lead Gavi’s private sector engagement in the United States, focusing on expanding the level of financial and operational support from, as well as developing and maintaining relationships with, private sector organizations based in the United States. The role, which is part of a broader US Strategy and Resource Mobilization and Private Sector teams, will require an innovative and creative thinker with proven success in cultivating and managing new financing and other support from the private sector in the United States.
In order to be successful, the position will require a sharp and detailed-oriented professional with a successful track record in closing private sector transactions and forging sustainable partnerships. This position requires an individual capable of capturing the needs of Gavi-supported countries and attracting private sector solutions to support Gavi’s work in 73 implementing countries around the world. In addition, it requires a professional persona that can easily convene and focus a variety of stakeholders toward a common goal and vision in accelerating implementation in countries. Finally, this role requires a proven record of working successfully with the private sector and accelerating innovation, a positive and open leadership and communication style, and an unflagging ethic to work across different areas with a variety of personalities to shape how the private sector can support Gavi’s goals.
Key results expected:
• A U.S. private sector strategy that provides multi-year financial support and expertise to help Gavi innovate and support its work with implementing countries, as well as other benefits to support Gavi’s larger goals;
• Secure higher levels of funding from current and new donors with emphasis on multi-year funding;
• In partnership with other members of the RMPSP team, close operational partnerships that provide investment and expertise to key areas of interest to Gavi, including supply chain, data and demand generation;
• Grow, maintain and manage U.S. private sector outreach business targets and deliverables; and
• Maintain and cultivate existing private sector relationships in the United States.
Main duties/ Responsibilities:
Private Sector Resource Mobilization
• Develop and manage a business development strategy to drive new private sector partnerships in the United States;
• Attract, develop and close investments from the private sector, including but not limited to corporations, foundations, and high net worth individuals;
• Manage existing and grow private sector relationships in the U.S., ensuring effective client service and project implementation in coordination across departments;
• In coordination with other teams, manage and oversee other aspects of private sector partner relations including with country programs, legal, financial, communications, reporting, and M&E;
• Provide necessary analysis, grant proposals, pitch decks, concept papers, summary documents and other reports to ensure successful grant compliance and reporting requirements for private sector partners in the United States;
• Work closely with the Global Operational Partnerships (GOP) team and other RMPSP teams to cultivate valuable operational partnerships and develop private sector deals;
• Work with other U.S. strategy team members and Alliance staff to coordinate and plan activities to support a comprehensive RMPSP strategy in the U.S. including events and other stewardship activities;
• Provide counsel and advice across the U.S. Strategy team in private sector issues;
• Support, when requested, other team projects and new partner development;
• As requested, engage in broader outreach and represent Gavi and its mission; and
• Manage existing and develop new instruments (as necessary) to attract private sector investment in the U.S.
Internal and External Relations
• Regularly engage with the larger RMPSP team on common issues of interest;
• Work with the Media and Communications team to build Gavi’s brand and convey consistent messages to private sector and philanthropic contacts;
• Foster project ideas to highlight Gavi’s model and work in conjunction with other staff to highlight Gavi with key audiences and stakeholders.
Note: The essential functions listed in this section are not exhaustive of the job responsibilities; other duties may be assigned consistently with the department needs.
• Master’s degree preferred from an accredited university, preferably in economics, business administration, international affairs, finance, marketing or other related fields.
• Proven experience and competence engaging with the private sector, obtaining multi-year, multi-million dollars gifts and creating innovative partnerships;
• Business mind with the ability to convincingly “sell” Gavi to a variety of partners, including corporations.
• Minimum of 7 – 10 years of relevant experience in developing and closing private sector transactions and partnerships;
• Client and project management experience to drive and secure private sector investments, including management of resources and activities that you do not have direct authority over;
• Proven ability to identify and articulate policy issues, trade-offs and priorities to provide sound advice;
• Proven ability to deliver results with scarce resources and within a lean organization.
• Demonstrated ability to deliver high quality, accurate work within aggressive deadlines;
• Exceptional analytical skills and business acumen;
• Experience working in complex and multi-level team environments;
• Very strong oral, written, presentation and interpersonal skills;
• Excellent ability to work in and with complex project teams and processes;
• Strong sense of tack and discretion;
• Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
• Written and spoken fluency in English;
• Spanish or French an asset.
• Some travel required.
• Gavi Secretariat.
• Corporations, including Banks, Foundations and High Net Worth Individuals;
• Gavi partners and stakeholders.
GAVI is committed to diversity within its workforce and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.