Part-Time Volunteer Coordinator
ORGANIZATION OVERVIEW: Food Forward rescues fresh, local produce that would otherwise go to waste, connecting this abundance with people in need, and inspiring others to do the same. This food helps feed Southern California’s most vulnerable: children, homeless individuals, veterans, those with HIV/AIDS, women, low‐income families, immigrants, or anyone who does not have access to a sufficient quantity of food. We also aim to tap into an awareness and consciousness of sustainability and community building, and to become a bright voice on Southern California’s edible landscape around food security and food justice issues.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Volunteer Coordinator will report to the Volunteer Manager. S/he will be responsible for conducting volunteer outreach, handling inquiries, communicating details, and ensuring that Food Forward’s events are fully staffed by volunteers. S/he should be comfortable coordinating volunteers for 150+ monthly volunteer events across Los Angeles and Ventura Counties, and handling a substantial amount of correspondence. The ideal candidate is extremely detail and process oriented, is thorough, and willing to learn on the job.
S/he must be a people-person: warm, friendly, outgoing, and able to communicate with individuals with various personalities and temperaments. The Volunteer Coordinator is the face of Food Forward at community events and should be well-versed, well-spoken, and able to attract and engage new volunteers. A collaborative and fun-loving spirit, as well as a willingness to attend regular outdoor volunteer events (sometimes on weekends), are essential! This position provides an opportunity to become deeply involved with a diverse group of people in the urban food justice community, while working with a prominent and growing nonprofit.
– Recruit and coordinate volunteers for 150+ monthly produce-recovery volunteer events across Los Angeles and Ventura Counties
– Act as the main point of contact for volunteers and communicate through email, phone calls, volunteer events, and community events
– Work with and update a database of 7000+ volunteers
– Promote volunteer retention and leadership, and ensure positive, fulfilling volunteer experiences
– Sustain and create partnerships with groups, organizations, and institutions
– Represent Food Forward at volunteer, community, and speaking events
– Collaborate with and support Food Forward’s Program Staff to meet the needs of each department’s volunteer-powered events
– Bachelor’s Degree (preferably in a related field) or relevant work experience
– Strong people, communication, writing, and public speaking skills
– Experience working with volunteers and managing large numbers of people
– A passion for food justice and community building
– Skilled in networking and growing partnerships
– Experience using Excel, Google Sheets, and Google Docs
– Ability to communicate with diverse communities across Southern California
– A supportive co-worker able to work well individually or collaboratively
– Knowledge of Southern California Geography
– A valid driver’s license
– Willingness to work on weekends or after hours
– Able to lift 40-60lbs
COMPENSATION: $15 per hour