Part-Time Volunteer Engagement Associate
The New York Asian Women’s Center (NYAWC) works with survivors of gender-based violence to rise above trauma and build a path to healing. We bring critical resources and deep cultural competency to help Asian communities find refuge, recovery and renewal. We work with survivors of domestic violence, human trafficking, and sexual violence across the lifespan. With a $4.9 million annual budget, NYAWC offers a 24/7 helpline; counseling and case management services for survivors and their children; emergency residential and transitional housing; and, immigration legal services, along with other support services.
The New York Asian Women’s Center (NYAWC) started as a volunteer effort 35 years ago, and volunteers have been and continue to be integral in all phases of NYAWC’s activities and operations. Volunteers staff NYAWC’s helpline accompany survivors to appointments, tutor and mentor children, provide administrative support, and much more.
The Volunteer Engagement Associate will play a critical role in coordinating NYAWC’s rapidly growing volunteer engagement initiatives.
• Promote NYAWC’s volunteer openings through online postings, email, tabling, and presentations
• Screen prospective volunteers by reviewing application forms, conducting interviews, and processing background checks
• Coordinate and co-facilitate new volunteer orientation
• In collaboration with Manager of Volunteer Engagement, plan and coordinate continuing education and recognition programming for volunteers
• Support volunteer communications, including the creation of brochures, newsletters, and e-blasts
• Track and report on volunteer activities and hours
• Collect, maintain, and monitor volunteer data
• Special projects and other duties as assigned
• Experience serving as a volunteer and/or working with volunteers
• Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
• Excellent ability to communicate orally and in writing to a wide range of people
• Effective planning and organization skills
• Proven ability to maintain good working relationships with a variety of people and groups, including funders, community partners, volunteers, and staff
• Must be able to meet strict deadlines and adapt to changing deadlines
• Flexible hours required, including some weekday nights and weekends
• Experience using Volgistics or another volunteer management application preferred
• Knowledge about dynamics of domestic violence, sexual assault, and human trafficking in immigrant communities preferred