Full-Time Wholesale and Markets Manager
World Farmers is hiring a Wholesale and Markets Manager who will provide leadership and vision for building our crop sales platforms for the immigrant and refugee farmers at Flats Mentor Farm. This person will implement sales, marketing, and technical assistance efforts through our Marketing Cooperative. This job requires someone with the capacity and passion to build relationships with our farmers of ethnically and socially diverse backgrounds, while facilitating and exploring new and existing market opportunities. This position requires a high level of autonomy, initiative, and the ability to work with a range of players. The Wholesale and Markets Manager will be welcomed as part of the World Farmers team, and encouraged to participate in visioning and execution of other related programs of the organization.
– Build strong relationships with FMF farmers and understand their sales needs.
– Grow existing and build new relationships with buyers (stores, food hubs etc.).
– Plan crop availability and sales list according to farmers’ production levels.
– Coordinate post-harvest handling and distribution of produce.
– Work with World Farmers staff to provide training and assistance to Flats Mentor farmers on business, marketing, and whole farm planning.
– Ensure completion of all evaluation and reporting needs for program efforts.
– Passion, compassion, curiosity, and creativity to explore and develop new market opportunities for ethnic crops with and for immigrant farmers and communities.
– Social Justice and Food Justice minded and motivated individual.
– Three years’ experience in agricultural production and/or developing and managing market sales efforts – OR – bachelors and/or internship experience in a related field.
– Qualities of self-motivation, time management, flexibility and cooperation, and ability to be effective in a dynamic, multicultural/multilingual work environment.
– Detailed knowledge of handling, distribution, display, and sale of produce.
– Ability to work a flexible schedule in the summer, including some Saturdays.
– Access to and/or ownership of reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience, benefits available.
World Farmers is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applicants from culturally diverse backgrounds and/or historically under-represented communities.
World Farmers holds 30 years of institutional knowledge in supporting immigrant, refugee, and historically underserved beginning farmers grow and market ethnic and specialty crops in Massachusetts and beyond. Through Flats Mentor Farm in Lancaster, MA, World Farmers assists over 250 beginning immigrant and refugee farmers with training on sustainable agricultural production and marketing techniques, and cultivates a climate where cross-cultural farmer co-learning and mentorship thrives. World Farmers has successfully introduced several new ethnic crops into markets throughout Boston, those culturally relevant to immigrant communities.