WORK FOR AN AWARD-WINNING NON-PROFIT SOCIAL ENTERPRISE
Job Title: Accountant
Industry: Non-profit/International Development
Function: Finance & Accounting
Job Location: US – Remote, preference for candidates in Colorado
Start Date: Immediate
Term: Full-time, At-will Employment
Salary: $70,000 – $90,000
WHO WE ARE
Founded in 2004 by Dr. Elizabeth Hausler, Build Change is a multi-award-winning social enterprise focused on saving lives in disasters. Working both before and after disasters, we put power into the hands of homeowners to strengthen their homes for greater resilience against earthquakes and climate-related events like hurricanes, floods, and fires, while working alongside governments, finance institutions, and the construction sector to support scaling and long-term sustainability. For over two decades, we’ve been driving policy change, unlocking access to finance, and innovating through construction and digital technologies to make over 1 million people safer, create tens of thousands of jobs, and drive systems change for housing globally.
Today, Build Change is the global leader and advocate for disaster-resilient housing and winner of major awards for social entrepreneurship and innovation (Skoll Foundation, Schwab Foundation, Ashoka, Draper Richards Kaplan, and Echoing Green). We are an active member of the UN’s Race to Resilience and the Global Program for Resilient Housing, which we launched with the World Bank in 2017, as well as participate regularly in global forums such as the UN Conference of the Parties (COP), World Economic Forum, and the G7. We’ve worked in 26 countries and are currently active in Asia, East Africa, the Middle East, Latin America and the Caribbean. Find out more at buildchange.org.
YOUR NEW OPPORTUNITY
Build Change is seeking an Accountant to join our global administration team. This role can be performed remotely from anywhere in the United States, with a preference for candidates based in Colorado. The Accountant will be responsible for performing a wide variety of reporting and analyses using Excel. The successful candidate should be a detailed-oriented individual who has experience with QuickBooks and can deliver accurate financial reports on a timely basis. He/she/they will have advanced Excel skills that can be used to generate reports, budgets, and forecasts to enable management and the country program directors to effectively manage their programs and the organization as a whole. He/she/they will also be essential in developing proposal budgets for foundations and other institutions (World Bank, UN, NGOs, corporations, government partners, etc.). In addition to specific accounting responsibilities, this role will provide agile support across our team including some administrative and compliance duties.
The Accountant works within the Operations and Administrative team and reports to and supports the Controller on all finance, budgeting, and accounting-related matters for the organization.
- Help maintain all of the organization’s accounting entries and records using QuickBooks, prepare journal entries, upload and review entries from country programs
- Assist in Preparing monthly financial reports for management in QuickBooks and Excel, and any future systems that may be used
- Process US and expatriate payroll and allowances and review payrolls of country programs
- Process payments to vendors and employees
- Process expense reimbursements
- Process country program transfer requests
- Prepare invoices as needed
- Maintain concise records of all contributions received and reconcile that with the information maintained by the Development team
- Help maintain details of all general ledger accounts including security deposits, prepaid expenses, fixed assets and depreciation, and accrual accounts as needed
- Work with the Controller in preparing for and working with auditors on the annual audit and addressing specific accounting issues as they may arise
- Develop and review budgets for the Build Change team
- Support development efforts in regard to costing and pricing proposals and providing additional financial information as required
- Support Finance and Admin team in reviewing Finance and HR systems to facilitate new processes as they come up
- Provide administrative support including tracking staff compliance with policies and onboarding and offboarding
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE
- High level of proficiency with QuickBooks and Excel
- Proficiency with other tools, such as MS Word and PowerPoint
- Exceptional attention to detail and quality
- Ability to work independently and willingness to work occasional evenings to overcome time differences with associates based in project countries
- Knowledge of and passion for Build Change’s mission
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
- 5+ years of progressive accounting experience
- CPA candidate preferred
- Experience with an international NGO or non-profit social enterprise preferred
How to Apply
ARE YOU INTERESTED?
Then please visit www.buildchange.org/about/careers and select the link for this position. Applications will be accepted until filled and will be reviewed as received. Build Change is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified women and citizens of Build Change’s program countries are strongly encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No calls, please.
Build Change is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. It is the policy of Build Change that qualified individuals with disabilities not be discriminated against because of their disabilities in regard to job application procedures, hiring, and other terms and conditions of employment. It is further the policy of Build Change to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities in all aspects of the employment process. Build Change is prepared to modify or adjust the job application process or the job or work environment to make reasonable accommodations to the known physical or mental limitations of the applicant or employee to enable the applicant or employee to be considered for the position he or she desires, to perform the essential functions of the position in question, or to enjoy equal benefits and privileges of employment as are enjoyed by other similarly situated employees without disabilities unless the accommodation will impose an undue hardship.