Full-Time Business Development Associate
Uncharted is a social impact accelerator that builds coordinated movements of people to tackle problems from all angles—problems like food deserts, urban poverty, and hate and discrimination. We partner with corporations, foundations, and governments to launch initiatives that connect those working on the same problem and help them go to scale. To date, we have helped social entrepreneurs raise $315 million, create impact in 96 countries, and benefit 52 million lives.
Uncharted is seeking a Business Development Associate who will support the Business Development Team. This associate is an entrepreneurial, detail-oriented individual with superb interpersonal skills. Tech-savvy with a knack for Salesforce or experience with other CRM platforms
This role ensures our business development operations and relationship management runs smoothly and works with the Business Development team to jumpstart our prospect cultivation efforts.
The Business Development Associate (BDA) is tasked with keeping the Business Development Team moving forward and organized. The role of BDA gives you the opportunity to to learn about the fundraising process and how to manage an organization’s donor base.
Business Development Team Support
- Manage proactive research process, including data collection, research, and initial outreach
- Support the VP of Growth & Development’s proactive, targeted outreach to cultivate, maintain, and advance relationships with a range of individual relationships and organizations, including predisposition and follow-up emails
- Work with the VP of Growth & Development to submit letters of interest and grant applications
- Manage the calendars of our chief fundraisers — VP of Growth & Development and the CEO
- Manage our donor database through Salesforce to track donor cultivation, engagement, and reporting
- Work closely with Finance to maintain donation records and send acknowledgment letters to donors
- Various duties as assigned by the VP of Growth & Development or CEO
- Support the logistics and planning of virtual and in-person cultivation and fundraising events
- Manage the logistics for donor visits
- Work with vendors to ensure event success and serve as an organizational liaison
- Recruit and prepare staff volunteers for event support
- Ensure optimal guest experience at events
Are you the right fit?
- World-class organizational skills and follow-up: Your success is built upon a foundation of methodical, personal organization that gives you the confidence to reach deadlines and achieve outcomes even when there are numerous other “priorities” and distractions.
- Strong researcher: When it comes to research, you dive deep and don’t stop digging until you’re successful. You have experience working on self-directed research projects and can prepare briefs that outline your findings.
- Excellent communicator: You are skilled at (and love) keeping everyone informed about what’s going on and are able to do so succinctly, clearly, and compellingly.
- Above-and-beyond relationship builder: When it comes to relationship building, you’ll do whatever it takes and are meticulous about follow through. Thank you notes, follow-up emails, and remembering people’s birthdays are second nature to you. You’re always three steps ahead.
- Skilled writer: You enjoy writing and believe that simplicity can arrive on the other side of complexity. You have written grant applications, briefs, or concept notes that clearly and succinctly communicate complicated ideas and plans.
- Experience with CRMs: You are a CRM Ninja. You understand how CRMs work and why they are important and love making sure they stay up-to-date.
- Prizes being a trusted confidant: You highly value trust and loyalty in your professional relationships. You desire to be highly trusted by your peers and you rise to the challenge and do whatever it takes to maintain high-trust in all of your relationships.
- Experience in fast-paced, dynamic environments: You are willing to tackle projects without much guidance/structure. You are the one who builds structure. For example, you have stepped into ambiguous and disorganized situations and built out game-plans and next steps.
- Mission and culture fit: First and foremost – you are deeply committed to the mission and vision of Uncharted and you will do whatever it takes to achieve it. You see this role as an opportunity to exercise your passion and align your values and purpose with the values and purpose of an organization attempting to put a dent in the world’s most pressing problems. You are a culture-creator (not just a consumer), and you believe in the power of creating environments where people can belong and thrive.
Start Date: Early September
Application Process and Estimated Timelines:
Applications Open: Applications are open through July 21st on our website. This application should take about 20 minutes including your resume, cover letter, and a few questions.
Phone Interviews (20 minutes): July 26th – 29th. There is no prework for this interview.
Projects: August 2nd – 5th. At the project phase, you will receive a project scope which will take 2-4 hours to complete. You will have a 48 hour time period of your choosing to work on the project before submission.
Zoom Interviews (1 hour): August 9th – 12th. The Zoom interview will dig into the details of your experience professionally.
Final Interviews: August 16th – 19th. This interview will be with various members of the Uncharted team and include a working interview with Development Team members and company leaders as a ‘working session’ to discuss your project. This is approximately a half day interview and can be split over two days.
Reference Calls: August 23rd – 26th. Final candidates will share 3 professional references and we will reach out to them for 15 minute phone calls.
Final Offer: August 30th
Location: Remote with minimal travel to Denver for team building. Our HQ is Denver, Colorado and periodically this role may require travel to the Denver area. If you are interested in relocating to Denver for the role and to be near the HQ, we are open to this, but it’s not required.
Compensation: $50,000 – $55,0000, commensurate with experience. This is a non-exempt role.
- Uncharted works on 4 Day Work Weeks, at 32 hours a week – yes that means every Friday off! 100% contribution, 100% pay, 80% time. To learn about our Four Day Work Week check out our Medium page.
- Healthcare including dental and vision plan which starts on the 1st of the month after hire. Uncharted pays 75% of premiums for our full time employees and their dependents and limited
- SIMPLE IRA with up to 3% matching
- 20 days PTO (since we work 4 days per week, that equals out to 5 weeks off a year)
- 9 holidays + your birthday off
- Annual Professional Development Budget
- Limited matching donations to mission-aligned 501(c)3s
- Relocation assistance available
Who will I be working with? You will report to Xaira Ferrara, our VP of Growth & Development and work closely with Banks Benitez, our CEO and Alexa McNaul, our Senior Manager of Finance and Data. If you get further in the process, you will have the opportunity to virtually meet these team members and we will share their User Guides, so you can get a better understanding of what it would be like to work with them.
Is your team currently remote? Will this stay remote long term? We are operating remotely due to COVID-19 and city guidance. This role can be based anywhere in the US, or we can help you relocate to Denver where our HQ is, if you’re interested.
How frequently does the whole team get together in-person? Our remote-first culture is new, but our goal is to come together as a team once a quarter. Otherwise, you’re welcome to visit our Denver office anytime.
What systems do you use to communicate and collaborate as a remote team? We use Google Suite as well as Slack, Asana to collaborate on projects and most recently the Business Development team started using Salesforce Chatter to communicate about funding prospects.
What is Uncharted’s approach to a diverse and equitable workforce? You can read our diversity statement below (which we wholeheartedly stand behind), but we want to take it a step further because creating a diverse and equitable workforce and workplace culture goes beyond a diversity statement in a job description. We’re in the business of building and sharing power and creating equitable access to opportunity, and we believe that journey starts within our proverbial office by building a team, culture, and programming that includes, values, and empowers diverse voices, perspectives, and experiences. We also value transparency and would be remiss if we didn’t also share that, like everyone, we’re on a journey when it comes to our DEI efforts and education. Right now, we can’t boast the kind of staff stats that match the diversity of our country. We’re still learning (we always will be!) and we still have a lot of work to do, but we’re undertaking it wholeheartedly, voluntarily, and proactively because our work, our world, and all of us will benefit from the magic that happens when people from different backgrounds build something together. Have more questions about this? Ask away! Want to push us on something? We welcome it.
We are committed to a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace in which everyone is welcomed, valued, and supported. Uncharted recruits, employs, compensates, and promotes without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic or family medical history, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.