Full-Time Chief Executive Officer (Location Flexible)
About One Heart Worldwide:
One Heart Worldwide aims to improve access to, and utilization of, quality healthcare services to reduce the risk of maternal and neonatal mortality in remote rural areas of the world. Since its founding in 1998, OHW has developed and refined its Network of Safety model — instead of following a more traditional path of international development and establishing a parallel healthcare system, OHW strengthens the existing public healthcare infrastructure. The theory of change is based on direct partnership with local authorities and communities to create a continuum of care that will increase access to safe delivery options and encourage the adoption of healthy, culturally appropriate behaviors. The vision is lofty and difficult, yet simply stated: OHW believes all women and newborns should receive the quality healthcare services they deserve during pregnancy and childbirth, anytime and anyplace.
This model has proven both sustainable and highly impactful. After ten years of operation in Tibet, with a decrease in maternal mortality by 100% and neonatal mortality by 70%, the program was successfully transitioned to local responsibility. Since moving its operations to Nepal in 2010, OHW continues to make significant impact at scale. For each dollar that OHW invests, the Nepali government invests more than $2 in the same timeframe, and OHW has been able to significantly increase the cost-share contribution of the municipal governments as well. By 2020, OWH aims to have cumulatively reached over 275,000 pregnancies in the country. Over its next ten years, OHW expects to have transitioned out of its Nepal operations and to have expanded its programs to entirely new countries with simultaneous operations, bringing itself to global scale.
One Heart Worldwide is strongly committed to an evidence-based plan to ensure its highly successful model remains relevant and effective in the future. As such, OHW has contracted for a 2-year independent external evaluation to deliver an evidence-based assessment of its program impact, sustainability, and replicability. The organization is also gaining increased attention within the global health community: The Clinton Health Access Initiative is currently engaged in a Gates-funded project to research and publish evidence-based case studies of models most effectively leveraging networks of care, and OHW’s Network of Safety has been selected for this study specifically because its model promotes active learning and adaptation, is sustainable, and indicates clear scalability.
About the CEO Opportunity:
One Heart Worldwide now sits at an inflection point and seeks a CEO to propel the organization through its next stage of growth as it expands the Network of Safety healthcare model globally. This is a compelling opportunity for a strategic leader to build upon OHW’s two decades of success, increase its capacity and standing as a thought leader in Global Maternal and Newborn Health (MNH), and chart an ambitious path forward. OHW seeks a builder with vision, who has successfully implemented strategies for growth and scale, and who can communicate a cogent business case to scrutinous funders. The new CEO will find a supportive Board and a passionate staff with an appetite for innovation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads the strategic development process. Serves as a thought leader by bringing fresh perspectives and creative ideas to OHW’s long-term global health strategy and vision
- Maintains working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the Global MNH sector
- In partnership with the Senior Management Team and Board, develops and establishes short and long-range goals, objectives, and plans
- Regularly updates the strategic plan, working with key leadership to develop action plans and metrics to ensure the continued relevance of OHW in the global MNH field
- Reviews operating results with key leadership, compares them to established objectives, and ensures appropriate measures are taken to correct deficiencies
- Cultivates and maintains effective relationships with individual donors, funding agencies, corporate sponsors, peer agencies, legislators, and Board members
- Leads strategy to identify new public, private, and philanthropic funding opportunities in order to diversify and strengthen the funding base for organizational growth
- Personally represents the organization and leverages both new and pre-existing relationships to secure funding both for Nepal operations and global expansion
- Works in conjunction with Senior Adviser/Brand Ambassador to curate a marketable image/message of the organization that effectively represents the organization’s work
- Provides leadership to the staff, volunteers and other stakeholders and maintains an effective system of communications across cultures and geographies. Ensures well-defined roles and responsibilities for all team members. Promotes an inclusive and participatory work culture that encourages alternative, innovative thinking.
- Ensures OHW meets and exceeds all regulatory, transparency, accountability and reporting requirements from government entities, funders, and relevant stakeholders
- Oversees the adequacy and soundness of the organization’s financial structure. Works with CFO to develop and submit to the Board of Directors the quarterly financial reports for review and yearly fiscal budget for approval.
- Works closely with a strong and diverse Board to support effective governance. Aids in Board recruiting, manages relations with committees, and leverages resources for greater partnership. Serves on governance and development committees.
- Stewards the partnership between One Heart Worldwide and Surakshit Pariwar (Nepal NGO partner). Provides support in strategic planning, financial sustainability, and leadership to Surakshit Pariwar in a way that respects their autonomy.
- Experience in international development and fluent with global nonprofit management. Health sector familiarity preferred, but not essential.
- Solid business sensibilities; able to forecast and interpret financials and develop operational budgets; conversant with comparable business models; strong appreciation of how to grow and scale organizational capability and reach.
- Significant experience and success in fundraising through a combination of individual donors, corporations, private foundations, and bi/multilateral funders
- Strong leadership and management skills, with the ability to balance multiple competing priorities and a willingness to explore new innovative ideas. Collaborative team player with ability to motivate, positively engage, and earn the trust of donors, staff, management and Board. Compassionate, thoughtful, and culturally sensitive.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking and the ability to make a compelling case to diverse audiences
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally at least 30% of the time
One Heart Worldwide has retained Schaffer&Combs, a certified B Corporation, to support this search. To apply, please submit a current résumé and thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest and outlines your relevant skills and experience to this link. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
One Heart Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants who contribute to this diversity are strongly encouraged to apply. Please refrain from contacting OHW directly; all inquiries should be directed to Schaffer&Combs at OHW@schaffercombs.com