Full-Time Controller, US-Based (Denver preferred)
Educate!, a fast-growing and award-winning social enterprise, is seeking a Controller to lead and execute US-based accounting functions for our complex, multi-country organization.. The Controller will help us meet and exceed our impact goals by building and executing robust systems that support GAAP-compliant financial reporting, upgrading our financial controls, and leading collaboration between accounting and revenue teams across multiple countries. Reporting jointly to the CFO and the US Country Director, this position will be critical to the financial performance of Educate! as we drive towards our vision of measurably impacting millions of youth annually across Africa each year.
We are looking for someone fluent in numbers and comfortable with technology, experience in accounting for US nonprofits, and ready to build systems that enable strong collaboration and efficiency in a multi-country organization. You’ll join a motivated, mission-driven, high-performing international team that is redefining secondary education for youth in East Africa.
The Controller will lead all day-to-day US accounting operations and have responsibility for accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, revenue accounting, and payroll accounting. The Controller will ensure that Educate! has the systems and procedures in place to comply with best practice internal control standards, fulfill all US nonprofit regulations, and conduct clean efficient audits. The Controller will work closely with East Africa-based accounting teams to ensure seamless and accurate financial reporting and with the US-based revenue team to ensure accurate revenue recognition and reporting.
In addition, she or he will partner with the CFO, senior leadership, and information technology (IT) service providers, when necessary, to enhance and better integrate finance, HR, and IT functions, as well as serving as the main contact for our banking, audit and software service providers.
- Oversee the consolidation (five countries at the moment), timeliness and accuracy of all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Coordinate with East African accounting teams to ensure timely consolidated monthly closes
- Coordinate all pre, during, and post-audit activity to achieve clean, timely external global audits
Accounting Systems and Controls Oversight and Development
- Manage and continuously propose improvements on the integrity of controls, processes, and data in the accounting software environment, and support the CFO in training and use-maximization for all accounting teams
- Oversee and continuously improve communication and reconciliation between Accounting and Revenue Teams, ensuring that Accounts Receivable are reconciled and accurate, funder reports are accurate and timely
- Support the CFO in maintaining internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, expenditures, and assets.
- Be the contact point for our banking, audit, and software service providers
Global Financial Analysis and Reporting
- Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitor progress and changes and partner with the CFO
- Oversee efficient and accurate labeling of restricted and unrestricted net assets
- Oversee an accurate Indirect Cost allocation process
- Support the CFO in preparing reports and presentations for the board’s finance committee
- Track the performance of invested assets in keeping with policies and investment guidelines.
US Office Accounting
- Lead the US Office’s monthly and annual budgeting and planning process
- Manage close and provide monthly US Office accounting reports to the US Country Director
- Ensure full compliance with all US nonprofit statutory reporting and filing requirements
- Develop and implement US Office Internal Controls Handbook
We’re looking for a driven and collaborative CPA with at least some public accounting experience and experience in an accounting or finance role at a US nonprofit. We’re also looking for:
- Experience accounting for and reporting on grant funding and compliance for a US nonprofit with multiple types of funders and revenue streams
- Keen analytic and problem-solving skills allowing for strategic data interpretation that goes beyond simple reporting
- Personal qualities of integrity, honesty, and credibility
- An interest in accounting and reporting software. Experience with the roll-out of/migration to new software is a plus.
- Someone organized and collaborative, who will enjoy and excel at coordinating with a remote revenue team in the USA and an accounting team in East Africa to reconcile, meet deadlines, and align on tools and systems.
- Experience working in an organization with multiple locations. Multi-country experience is a plus but not required.
- A process-oriented person who can build and operationalize accounting and reporting systems and processes
- A good fit with our Five Cultural Tenets (see “What is Educate! About?” Below; learn more by looking at Educate!’s culture deck here.