Full-Time Director of Human Resources (hybrid remote)
We empower communities with software for social good. Founded over two decades ago, with a budget of $16 million and a 70-person domestic and global team with a passion for inclusion, equity, and justice, we provide software solutions to improve – and even transform – the lives of people around the world. Benetech focuses in the areas of global literacy, education, employment, and human rights. Our work transforms how information is made accessible so that everyone can learn, work, and pursue their dreams. Through Bookshare, we provide the world’s largest online service for accessible books in braille, audio, and ebook format with over 1,000,000 titles in the core collection. We’ve delivered over 20 million accessible books and we work with 1000+ publishers worldwide. To learn more, visit us at https://benetech.org/.
ATTRACTING CANDIDATES FROM ALL BACKGROUNDS
Benetech is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in our staff and invite all qualified people to apply, including minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Research shows that women and people from underrepresented groups often only apply to jobs if they meet all of the qualifications. However, no one ever meets 100% of the qualifications. Benetech encourages you to break that statistic and to apply. We look forward to your application.
The new Director will build and implement people systems that attract, retain and motivate employees to advance our mission and talent strategy. In particular, the new Director will lead the People function, and attract, motivate, develop and retain the most qualified and skilled employees to meet our mission drive organizational success. We seek to find the right people for the right job and unleash them to do their best work in pursuit of our mission to empower communities with software for social good. You will cultivate Benetech culture through the lens of our Truths throughout the organization:
- Software for Social Impact: We support, empower, and educate by leveraging software to create positive social impact.
- Right Stuff Right: We listen to our communities to identify barriers, constantly assessing if our plans address those challenges, then use a results-driven approach to get stuff done.
- Equitable and Accessible: We ensure our products and processes are accessible by all because inclusion is at the heart of what we do.
- Be Open, Not Closed: We work collaboratively and transparently, openly sharing our work and creating opportunities for others to do the same.
- Do More Together: We amplify our impact through a culture of cooperation internally, with partners, and with our users.
- Value Flexibility: Our employees and users have the flexibility to work in ways that are best for them.
The work location is either in our office in Palo Alto, California, or a hybrid of working remotely and being in the office two to three days a week. Initially the position will be fully remote until we re-open our office.
Using an inclusive, transparent, and collaborative approach, you will lead:
Talent Strategy and Operations:
- Find the best talent, from creating job descriptions to managing the full-cycle recruiting and onboarding process.
- Lead people operations to ensure accessibility of all employee platforms, compensation and total rewards systems, benefits, HRIS, and training
Advancing Team Culture:
- Advance equity and create a sense of belonging for everyone. This includes employee surveys, continuous improvement based on employee feedback in collaboration with deltaSquad and the Racial Justice Committee, and organizational gatherings and celebrations
- Ensure compliance with all applicable laws, and evolve policies that support our mission and truths
- Manage a small team that includes a Human Resources generalist and the Office Manager (with responsibility for Facilities).
- Advise the VP on significant matters and undertake special projects as directed
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE:
To be successful, you will fully integrate into our culture and establish trust through living our values and delivering results, managing the people function, and continuously improve our systems. Our ideal candidate brings the following skills, experiences, and competencies:
- 10+ years of human resources leadership experience
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Experience in organizational design, performance management, leadership development and succession planning
- Command of all aspects of the people function, including recruiting, HRIS, employee relations, total rewards, performance management, and learning and development
- Ability to operate in a lean resourced organization and be hands on
- Proven ability to lead and represent the people function for all levels of the organization
To empower communities with software for social good, we need to empower our people. With a focus on our mission and commitment to doing the right things right, the people function at Benetech partners with all levels of the organization to make Benetech a rewarding experience for each of our staff.
We seek teammates with the ability to instill trust
- Drives Vision and Purpose
- Values Differences
- Manages Conflict
- Communicates Effectively
- Develops Talent
We seek teammates with the ability to optimize work processes
- Tech Savvy
- Drives Results
- Business Insight
- Customer Focus
- Builds Effective Teams
- Builds Networks