Full-Time Director of Marketing and Communications
WORK FOR AN AWARD-WINNING NON-PROFIT SOCIAL INNOVATOR
Job Title: Director of Marketing and Communications
Industry: Non-profit/International Development
Function: Communications and Marketing
Reports to: The Founder and Chief Executive Officer
Job Location: Remote – Candidates based in Denver, Washington DC, New York City, or San Francisco preferred
Start Date: Immediate
Term: Full-time, At-will Employment
Salary: $80,000 – $100,000
WHO WE ARE
Founded in 2004 by Dr. Elizabeth Hausler, Build Change is a multi-award-winning social enterprise focused on saving lives in disasters. Working both before and after disasters, we put power into the hands of homeowners to strengthen their homes for greater resilience against earthquakes and climate-related events like hurricanes, floods, and fires, while working alongside governments, finance institutions, and the construction sector to support scaling and long-term sustainability. For over two decades, we’ve been driving policy change, unlocking access to finance, and innovating through construction and digital technologies to make over 1 million people safer, create tens of thousands of jobs, and drive systems change for housing globally.
Today, Build Change is the global leader and advocate for disaster-resilient housing and winner of major awards for social entrepreneurship and innovation (Skoll Foundation, Schwab Foundation, Ashoka, Draper Richards Kaplan, and Echoing Green). We are an active member of the UN’s Race to Resilience and the Global Program for Resilient Housing, which we launched with the World Bank in 2017, as well as participate regularly in global forums such as the UN Conference of the Parties (COP), World Economic Forum, and the G7. We’ve worked in 26 countries and are currently active in Asia, East Africa, the Middle East, Latin America and the Caribbean. Find out more at buildchange.org.
YOUR NEW OPPORTUNITY
You will lead the development and execution of Build Change’s annual communications and marketing plans in collaboration with the executive team and field leadership. This will include the development and coordination of a communications calendar, including the regular engagement of our key audiences (donors, government partners, private sector counterparts), the securing and preparation of speaking events for key staff and leadership, and regular dissemination of information on our programs and successes. You will grow and manage Build Change’s community of supporters across social channels and platforms and advise your peers within our country programs by providing them with innovative communications materials and strategies targeting the Build Change markets and audience. This position works closely with the Fund Development and Advocacy teams to reach our different audiences, including individual donors, foundations, and corporate partners.
You are prepared to creatively manage Build Change’s marketing assets and inputs to: Build Change’s website, social media accounts and content, annual report, quarterly newsletters, appeals, success stories, promotional videos, and other outreach materials. Additionally, you have inventive ideas to contribute for Build Change’s various fundraising events.
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE
- An innovative approach to marketing that leads to an increase in followers and donors, and strong brand recognition
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, a high energy level, and an ability to speak persuasively in front of large and small groups
- Superior, professional, and versatile writing, presentation, and communication skills with the ability to adapt based on the audience
- An ability to work independently, including some evenings and weekends, and travel as needed
- Ability to speak passionately about Build Change’s mission
- 7-10 years in a similar professional position with a proven track record of successful marketing and communications activities, including at least 2 years in a director-level role
- Experience with website development
- Facility with social media platforms and metrics for tracking communication effectiveness
- In-depth knowledge of marketing tools such as Adobe Suite, Canva, WordPress, and MailChimp
- Degree in Marketing, Communications, or relevant field
- Have worked in the Caribbean, Latin America, Asia, or emerging nations
- Have experience in international development
- Understand basic engineering and construction principles
- Speak Spanish, French, or any of the languages spoken in our program countries
How to Apply
ARE YOU INTERESTED?
Then please visit www.buildchange.org/about/careers and select the link for this position. Build Change is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified women and candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No calls please.
Build Change is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. It is the policy of Build Change that qualified individuals with disabilities not be discriminated against because of their disabilities in regard to job application procedures, hiring, and other terms and conditions of employment. It is further the policy of Build Change to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities in all aspects of the employment process. Build Change is prepared to modify or adjust the job application process or the job or work environment to make reasonable accommodations to the known physical or mental limitations of the applicant or employee to enable the applicant or employee to be considered for the position he or she desires, to perform the essential functions of the position in question, or to enjoy equal benefits and privileges of employment as are enjoyed by other similarly situated employees without disabilities unless the accommodation will impose an undue hardship.