Full-Time Director of People and Culture
Waxman Strategies, a mission-driven consulting firm led by former Congressman Henry Waxman, is seeking an experienced HR leader for our Director of People and Culture opening. As our Director of People and Culture, you facilitate an excellent workplace culture, recruiting, retaining, and supporting a talented staff, and managing professional development and learning opportunities. You will oversee all human resource functions and play a lead role in our firm’s commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice, helping to ensure that we continue to build an equitable organization which values all voices. Your leadership will be a critical part of our firm’s mission-driven work to address health equity and outcomes for vulnerable populations, securing a sustainable future, and fostering bold innovation through technology.
Who We Are:
Former Congressman Henry Waxman, who was recognized as “one of the most accomplished legislators of his or any era” by President Obama leads the firm’s work in the areas of health, the environment, and technology. Waxman Strategies uses advocacy, communications, and campaigns to shape policies, advance causes and build movements around the world.
Our team uses its policy knowledge and experience to provide strategic counsel, issue analysis and policy development, and engagement support to our diverse portfolio of clients. Building on a powerful legacy, we are driven by an uncompromising commitment to create and sustain change in the public interest. Some of our current clients include: Planned Parenthood Federation of America, the Commonwealth Fund, West Health, National Association of Community Health Centers, the Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids, ClimateWorks Foundation, Aperiomics, Bioenergy DevCo, The Energy Foundation and Arcus Foundation. Much of our environmental advocacy work is conducted in partnership with the non-profit organization Mighty Earth (www.mightyearth.org), for which the Director of People and Culture will also provide leadership and support.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Working closely with the CEO and senior leadership team to assess and further refine a vision for workplace culture and the firm’s human resources needs and policies.
- Facilitating a workplace culture which values learning, high-quality work product, and a diverse environment where all staff experience an inclusive and equitable setting.
- Overseeing the company’s administration of human resources functions as well as the development and communication around human resources policies, programs and practices.
- Overseeing our overall staff structure, recruitment strategies, hiring timelines, and general staffing needs, while ensuring we build a talented and diverse team.
- Further developing an effective performance management system and facilitating professional development and learning opportunities, which should leverage the diverse knowledge and experience of our staff.
- Playing a key support role in our ongoing growth and work to create an environment fully committed to values of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice, including working closely with our DEIJ committee.
- Playing an active role in organizing firm-wide activities, such as retreats and meetings, and fostering a collaborative and joyful workplace.
- Ensuring compliance with all agency requirements, state and federal bodies and employment laws regarding 1099s, exempt vs nonexempt status, ACA, and workers compensation.
- Optimizing workplace efficiency and effectiveness in remote work settings, helping to manage challenges around the pandemic.
- Working closely with outside consultants, including a benefits vendor and staff recruitment consultant, and hiring new consultants as needed.
What we’re looking for in you:
- You have at least seven years of human resources experience and are certified in HR compliance.
- A strategic and positive mindset with a demonstrated passion for managing HR and building a positive work culture.
- You have experience managing talent recruitment and retention programs, including strengthening performance management systems and ongoing learning activities.
- You have a demonstrated ability to and are committed to an equitable and inclusive work environment, are capable of working with people from a variety of backgrounds, and have received training in diversity, equity, and inclusion models and anti-oppression work.
- You have experience with and a commitment to working with people from a variety of backgrounds, including different ethnic, racial, and socio-economic backgrounds and the LGBTQ+ community.
- You have strong verbal and written communications skills, can work effectively with staff in a professional and supportive manner.
- You are proactive, self-directed and have experience developing systems and processes that address the strategic needs of the organization.
- You are familiar with ADP, FastTrack, or/and other HR tools.
- You have an interest in working in the public interest for a better and more just world.
- A graduate degree in a relevant field and/ or certification in SHRM or another HR agency.
- Certification in HR DEIJ models.
- Experience working in a non-profit setting and/ or a consulting setting.
More about our team: The firm is made up of people from various backgrounds, including federal agencies, nonprofit advocacy groups, health agencies, and legislative offices, at a range of experience levels. We pride ourselves on being a welcoming place for people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, parents, empty-nesters, and more.
Details: This is a full-time position based in our Washington, D.C. office. However, during the pandemic, our staff are working from home. The safety of our team is a top priority and we will resume working from our office, travel, and in-person meetings when it is safe to do so. You will report to our C.E.O. and work closely with our leadership team. Please note: The Director of People and Culture will not immediately oversee staff, but will manage outside consultants, and could directly oversee staff in the future.
Compensation and benefits: The salary range for this position is $76K to $125K, depending on experience. We have a generous benefits package, including group health insurance, dental benefits, unlimited vacation time, paid holidays, and a 401(k) plan.
Interview process: Our interview process involves a phone interview, two video interviews, a candidate exercise, and reference calls for candidates advancing in our process. We have adjusted our interview process and are holding video interviews in place of in-person interviews during the pandemic.
To apply: Please submit your application as soon as possible. Click visit https://waxmanstrategies.com/careers/director-of-people-and-culture/ to apply. Scroll down for the apply button and include a thoughtful cover letter which speaks to our mission. Also, let us know where you heard about the job.
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please contact email@example.com.
Waxman Strategies is an equal opportunity employer; we strictly prohibit discrimination against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression and any other characteristic protected by law.
Women, Black, Indigenous, and people of color, and members of the LGBTQ+ community and other historically marginalized communities are strongly encouraged to apply.