Full-Time Executive Director
The Youth Garden Project (YGP) is a Moab, UT nonprofit organization whose mission is to cultivate healthy children, families, and community through educational programs and the act of connecting people with food from seed to table. YGP was founded in 1996 and continues to grow to meet the needs of all Grand County residents.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will be responsible for the successful leadership and management of this rooted and dynamic organization. We are seeking a qualified community leader with experience in long-term strategic planning that encompasses sustainable development goals and capital improvements/project management. The Executive Director role requires someone who embodies outstanding team leadership, excellent communication, and funding development skills. This is a year-round, salaried, and benefited position.
- Foster and maintain meaningful relationships with community partners and stakeholders.
- Develop partnerships to effectively meet identified community needs while in alignment with YGP’s mission of growing food, kids, and community.
- Ensure incremental success in YGP’s completion of capital improvements so that facilities are adequately set up to provide high quality programs and community resources.
- Communicate with the Board of Directors regarding matters of governance, organizational activities, and financial position. Plan monthly board meetings with the President.
Community Engagement & Public Relations:
- Represent the mission of YGP in a way that encourages inclusivity and fosters accessibility for involvement by all individuals and families.
- Pursue opportunities for YGP to be represented in regional, state-wide, and national publications and media.
- Engage all sectors (business, government, nonprofit) in the work of YGP to broaden and strengthen mission impact.
- Explore opportunities for Moab’s visitors to engage in and support YGP’s work.
- Create and implement a comprehensive fundraising plan to meet annual budget goals.
- Steward and cultivate relationships with current and prospective donors, foundations, corporations, and government agencies.
- Partner with the Outreach and Development Coordinator to: implement relatable fundraising strategies for multiple demographics; apply for, manage, and report on grants.
Staff Development & Operations:
- Manage 4 full time staff and collaborate with them to establish an inclusive, innovative, and supportive work environment; maximize professional growth and development of staff; oversee all human resource needs; facilitate compliance with labor laws and organizational policies.
- Oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of the organization’s programs and services. Advise staff on systems for adequate data collection, compilation, and representation.
- Facilitate adherence to federal, state, & local regulations; maintain official records & documents.
- Design a comprehensive Capital Projects Implementation Plan that addresses current and future infrastructure needs of YGP including: adequate kitchen and storage capacity to reflect its current and ongoing increase in production; additional classroom space for programs and community use.
- Development of annual operating budget and accompanying implementation plan.
- Maintain sound financial practices, including healthy cash flows, strong internal financial controls, excellent record keeping, and ethical use of funds and resources.
- Work with the contracted bookkeeper to ensure bills are paid and the chart of accounts is used correctly; facilitate deposits and online platform fund transfers.
- Make recommendations to the Board of Directors for the expenditure of the Capital Improvement Fund based on YGP’s short and long term operational needs.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field and 3+ years experience in a leadership position.
- 3+ years fundraising experience including major donor solicitation, events, grant applications, and other revenue streams.
- Strong, collaborative leader and team builder who can foster a healthy and productive work environment and experience successfully managing full time employees.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the demonstrated ability to interact effectively and respectfully with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Financial literacy including experience with QuickBooks, budget management, basic accounting, and creating/using reports to monitor finances.
- Highly organized with ability to manage and prioritize multiple responsibilities.
- Outstanding written, verbal, and public speaking communication skills.
- Working knowledge of sustainable agriculture, community food systems, outdoor education, and/or youth development preferred.
- Commitment to perpetuating diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Compensation and Benefits
- Annual salary, commensurate with experience ($45-60k)
- Paid sick leave (accrued at 8 hrs. per month) & vacation (10 days/80 hours in year 1, plus Dec 24-Jan 1); & 8 additional paid holidays.
- Option to enroll in small group health insurance plan (75% of premium company paid)
- Option to enroll in 3% matching simple IRA program after 90 days employment