Full-Time Executive Director
THE DARIEN COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION
The Darien Community Association (DCA) is a privately-funded nonprofit located in the heart of Darien, Connecticut. Since its founding in 1923, the DCA has been making the community a nicer place to live and today boasts a $1 million annual budget, a team of seven, has made significant impact by providing people of all ages a place to gather, give, and learn for the last 100 years.
Learn more at https://dariendca.org/
We seek an experienced, high energy and personable executive who can help take the organization to the next level by raising awareness and excitement around the DCA and all that it has to offer. Attracting new members, expanding and broadening programming/events, exploring innovative avenues for new revenue generation, and building creative ways for volunteers and staff to collaborate will be key components of this role. With the benefit of a strong foundation, both reputationally and financially, this opportunity will afford you the room to creatively shape the future direction of this well-established and highly regarded organization.
The ideal candidate will partner with the Board of Directors to develop and execute a vision for the next chapter of the DCA. The next Executive Director will serve as community interface, oversee internal program management and development, as well as have overall responsibility for staff recruitment, retention, and supervision; financial management; budget preparation; membership; fundraising; communication; information technology; marketing; collaboration; strategic and operational planning; and execution of the mission.
Leadership & Management
- Provide leadership and vision to ensure the effective operations and delivery of quality programs.
- Maintain an organizational culture that attracts, develops, motivates, and retains excellent staff.
- Ensure consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems.
- Oversee the overall upkeep and maintenance of the DCA’s historic house and grounds.
- Leverage systems and processes to ensure program excellence and accountability.
Programming & Membership
- Spearhead the development of new and innovative programming with the assistance of Program Chairs, volunteers, and staff to serve our members and the community at large.
- Responsible for retention and expansion of participation within the organization.
- Serve as a community spokesperson, delivering a clear and compelling message of the DCA’s work.
- Raise the visibility of the organization by articulating an inspiring vision and engaging critical stakeholders, including donors, community leaders, businesses, and Town officials.
- Keep abreast of trends and changes in the nonprofit sector through networking and outreach.
- Energize current funders and cultivate new donors working with the Board of Directors.
- Speak publicly to create a level of excitement about the mission and vision of the organization.
- Work with staff in planning and execution of special events and annual appeal.
- Oversight responsibility for the DCA Thrift Shop, an offsite facility that serves as a significant and consistent revenue source for the organization.
- Work closely with the Private Events Manager to fulfill event obligations and grow rental revenue – the DCA’s facilities and grounds serve as a rental income source for the organization.
- Interface with the members of the DCA’s scholarship fund responsible for this important philanthropic endeavor.
- Report to Board of Directors on progress of programs and financial status.
- Work collaboratively with the Board of Directors to set and achieve the DCA’s strategic direction.
- Engage the Board of Directors in fundraising efforts.
- Support member recruitment and orientation.
- Support committees and attend meetings as needed.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
Our ideal candidate will embody the values of the DCA and bring leadership and strategic insights to the work through the following skills and characteristics:
- Demonstrated leadership and management experience
- Compelling communicator, speaker, and writer
- Digitally savvy with enthusiasm about its possibilities
- Leads and manages with a strategic mindset, open to learning and adapting
- Business and financial acumen
- Keen understanding of the ability to listen, meet people where they are, and engage in meaningful dialogue with stakeholders
- Strong affinity for the organization’s mission and history
- An understanding of how Darien or communities of similar size and demographic operate
- Experience in the non-profit arena on a paid or volunteer basis
- Well-organized, able to multitask and work with team members, recognizing that no task is too big or too small
- Grace under pressure
- Committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The position is a full-time salaried position. The salary range is $100,000–$110,000. A QSERHA plan for medical expenses, and an IRA are also offered.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The DCA is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.