Full-Time External Relationships Manager
We take the long view
We use our power to advance equity
We value bravery over brilliance
We bring our whole selves
We lean on our collective strength
Uncharted is seeking an External Relationships Manager who will build, manage, and engage a network of higher-touch resources (people and organizations) that can help our portfolio reach mission fulfillment. Key verticals include mentors, capital partners, and scaling partners (e.g. corporate partners, ecosystem/association connections). Secondary verticals include pipeline partners, peer organizations, and program alumni. In addition, with other members of the Resource and Product teams, they will help design and oversee the development of new tools and systems to enable better resource-matching, communications, data collection and feedback, resource recruitment, and other relevant processes. This position will have the unique opportunity to work across all of our programs, impacting the breadth of the work Uncharted commits to.
- Manage relationships with existing network – Maintain relationships with the existing network with an emphasis on the highest priority, most demanding audience segments: primarily mentors and capital partners.
- Build new relationships – Outreach to new resources in the verticals outlined above, but also includes value-added partners, program contractors, pipeline partners and more. Research and prospecting are also part of this with other Resource Team members.
- Engage scaling partners with our portfolio – Find the most compelling ways to facilitate meaningful conversations, relationships, and eventual partnerships between this network and our portfolio. Tools include funder (or partner) days, one on one matching, referrals, and network mapping (with our portfolio).
- Systems Building – With other relevant members of the Resource and Product teams, help design and oversee the development/honing of new tools and systems to enable better resource-matching, communications, data collection/feedback, resource recruitment, and other relevant processes that need to be built and refined.
- Establish alumni engagement program – Work with the Program Managers to design and build a plan for alumni engagement to help facilitate connections, retain group bonds, facilitate new bonds with other cohorts, assist with long-term data collection, and continue providing value/connections.
What are we looking for?
- Mission and culture contributor: First and foremost – you are deeply committed to the mission and vision of Uncharted and you will do whatever it takes to achieve it. You see this role as an opportunity to exercise your passion and align your values and purpose with the values and purpose of an organization attempting to put a dent in the world’s most pressing problems. You are a culture-creator (not just a consumer), and you believe in the power of creating environments where people can belong and thrive.
- Above-and-beyond relationship builder: When it comes to relationship building, you’ll do whatever it takes and are meticulous about follow through. Thank you notes, follow-up emails, and remembering people’s birthdays are second nature to you. You’re always three steps ahead. You should come in with a strong background in prospecting, building, and maintaining relationships with senior level leaders, funders, etc. across lines of diversity.
- Seasoned network builder: Beyond individual relationships, you have experience in building networks of humans. You have a track record of steering, deploying, or engaging that network towards specific outcomes.
- Understanding of social impact and early stage funding: Ideally, this has looked like one of the following:
- Familiarity with the early stage funding and partner ecosystem
- Language and understanding around early stage philanthropy, investing, and the drivers of economic inequality
- Experience running a social enterprise or working with early stage social enterprises
- World-class organizational skills and follow-up: Your success is built upon a foundation of methodical, personal organization that gives you the confidence to reach deadlines and achieve outcomes even when there are numerous other “priorities” and distractions.
- Strong researcher: When it comes to research, you dive deep and don’t stop digging until you’re successful. You have experience working on self-directed research projects and can prepare briefs that outline your findings. You consider LinkedIn your personal phone book.
- Experience with CRMs and other online systems: You understand how CRMs work, why they are important and love making sure they stay up-to-date. (We are Team Salesforce at Uncharted, so big bonus if you’ve used that before, but it’s not required).
- Skilled writer: You enjoy writing and believe that simplicity can arrive on the other side of complexity. You have written briefs or concept notes that clearly and succinctly communicate complicated ideas and plans.
- Excellent communicator: You are skilled at (and love) keeping everyone informed about what’s going on and are able to do so succinctly, clearly, and compellingly.
- Experience in fast-paced, dynamic environments: You have worked for a startup, worked in a startup environment, and/or have worked in supporting startups to grow. You are willing to tackle projects without much guidance/structure. You are the one who builds structure. For example, you have stepped into ambiguous and disorganized situations and built out game-plans and next steps.
If this is a role that excites you, please do apply as we value applicants for the skills they bring beyond a job description. We look forward to learning more about you and the unique experiences you bring to this role.
- Who will I be working with? You will report to Adrienne Russman, Director of Government and Community Relations and work closely with our Program Managers like Joe Santini and Emily Lutyens. If you get further in the process, you will have the opportunity to virtually meet these team members and we will share their User Guides, so you can get a better understanding of what it would be like to work with them.
- Is your team currently remote? Will this stay remote long term? We are operating remotely due to COVID-19 and city guidance. This role can be based anywhere in the US, or we can help you relocate to Denver where our HQ is, if you’re interested.
- What is Uncharted’s approach to a diverse and equitable workforce? You can read our diversity statement below (which we wholeheartedly stand behind), but we want to take it a step further because creating a diverse and equitable workforce and workplace culture goes beyond a diversity statement in a job description. We’re in the business of building and sharing power and creating equitable access to opportunity, and we believe that journey starts within our proverbial office by building a team, culture, and programming that includes, values, and empowers diverse voices, perspectives, and experiences. We also value transparency and would be remiss if we didn’t also share that, like everyone, we’re on a journey when it comes to our DEI efforts and education. Right now, we can’t boast the kind of staff stats that match the diversity of our country. We’re still learning (we always will be!) and we still have a lot of work to do, but we’re undertaking it wholeheartedly, voluntarily, and proactively because our work, our world, and all of us will benefit from the magic that happens when people from different backgrounds build something together. Have more questions about this? Ask away! Want to push us on something? We welcome it.
- I have a question that isn’t listed here, what can I do? Feel free to fill out this form and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Start Date: Early to Mid June
Application Process and Estimated Timelines:
Applications Open: Applications are open through May 8th. This application should take about 20 minutes including your resume, cover letter, and a few questions.
Phone Interviews (20 minutes): Through May 13th (mostly concentrated the week of May 10th, but on a rolling basis). There is no prework for this interview.
Projects and Zoom Interviews (1 hour): May 17- 20th. The Zoom interview will dig into the details of your experience professionally. At the end of this interview, if moving to the project phase, you will receive a project scope which will take 2-4 hours to complete. You will have a 48 hour time period of your choosing to work on the project before submission.
Final Interviews: May 24th – 27th. This interview will be with various members of the Uncharted team and include a working interview with Resource Team members and company leaders as a ‘working session’ to discuss your project. This is approximately a half day interview and can be split over two days.
Reference Calls: May 31 – June 4. Final candidates will share 3 professional references and we will reach out to them for 15 minute phone calls.
Final Offer Made by by early June
(Note: If this changes or pushes back in any way, we will let candidates know as soon as possible)
Location: Remote with minimal travel to Denver for team building. Our HQ is Denver, Colorado and periodically this role may require travel to the Denver area. If you are interested in relocating to Denver for the role and to be near the HQ, we are open to this, but it’s not required.
Compensation: $70,000 – $75,000 annually, plus benefits. This position is exempt.
- Uncharted works on 4 Day Work Weeks, at 32 hours a week – yes that means every Friday off! 100% contribution, 100% pay, 80% time. To learn about our Four Day Work Week check out our Medium page.
- Healthcare including dental and vision plan which starts on the 1st of the month after hire. Uncharted pays 75% of premiums for our full time employees and their dependents and limited
- SIMPLE IRA with up to 3% matching
- 20 days PTO (since we work 4 days per week, that equals out to 5 weeks off a year)
- 10 holidays + your birthday off
- Annual Professional Development Budget
- Limited matching donations to mission-aligned 501(c)3s
- Relocation assistance available
We are committed to a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace in which everyone is welcomed, valued, and supported. Uncharted recruits, employs, compensates, and promotes without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic or family medical history, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.