Full-Time Farm Program Coordinator
Description of Farm Program Coordinator Role
Nuestras Raíces is seeking an experienced and excited candidate to serve as incoming Farm Program Coordinator. This role will report directly to Hilda Róque, Executive Director, uphold farming operations, and lead educational programs on our 30-acre farm. Farm programs span our farm property and several community gardens.
An incoming Farm Program Coordinator will work alongside our Farm Maintenance Supervisor and farmhands in the field to see-through annual crop-production and coordinate relevant programs for farmer trainees. The Farm Program Coordinator will have light cross-training on farm maintenance, particularly with equipment (tractors, tools, etc.) to be versed on holistic farm operations.
Farm Program Coordinator should be aligned with the mission and vision of Nuestras Raíces and will have an active role in designing program strategy. The ideal candidate possesses strong experience in an educator role, knowledge of sustainable agriculture, experience working with intergenerational leadership (elders, youth, families), and is strongly motivated by increased community access to good food and farming.
The Farm Program Coordinator role will eventually evolve to include speaking invitations at community colleges, trade schools, universities, etc. to share the work of Nuestras Raices and collaborate on farm-site and community projects.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Co-develop growing season plans (planting, crop production, maintenance practices, harvest, farmers market schedule, etc.)
- Lead and maintain farm programming, including farmer training program (Finqueros en Accion), that focuses on knowledge and skills transfer, while providing the necessary support for beginner farmers
- Co-work with and support Farm Maintenance Supervisor to maintain farm practices, tools, and production
- Guide and support farmers, youth, TerraCorps members and community members
- Contribute to the planning of community events
- Cultivate and keep relationships with mission-aligned organizations
- Attend required trainings, conferences and meetings
- Develop and execute an emergency plan for farm, as needed
- Manage inventory and ordering of seed/growing materials/seed saving
- Keep records of farm yield and protocols
- Occasional report writing to support grant applications
- 50% time in the field / 50% time office work
- Bilingual (English-Spanish)
- Extensive experience farming
- Proven track record of coordinating people, programs, events, etc.
- Personal commitment to increasing access to agricultural knowledge, land, and good food
- Strong knowledge of sustainable farming practices — cover crops, soil biology, low-till crop production, permaculture, growing perennials, utilizing living mulches, composting, soil testing
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Commitment to record-keeping and farm plan-management.
- Professional maturity and reliability
- Reliable transportation to and from farm;
- Valid driver’s license & good driving record;
- Ability to lift 50 pounds, and capacity to walk, bend, stand and climb stairs;
- Required CORI Check
- A passion for food justice;
- An understanding of how structural racism impacts the food system;
- Apparent creativity and active imagination
- Experience communicating with community members and project partners;
- Ongoing commitment to improving systems and practices;
- Experience or interest in non-profit development and fundraising
- Desire to grow, process, and distribute produce of the highest nutritional, culinary, and food-safety quality.
Compensation + benefits
Farm Program Coordinator role is a full-time year-round position (40hrs/week), compensated at $34,000 starting salary, with yearly increases. Benefits include medical (80% of premium covered by Nuestras Raíces) and dental (50/50), two weeks paid vacation, federal holidays, and sick and personal leave.