Full-Time Farmers’ Market Support Operator
Job Title: Farmers’ Market Support Operator
Position Type: Full-Time, seasonal
Location: Lancaster, MA (In-person)
World Farmers is hiring a Farmers’ Market Support Operator who will be responsible for supporting Flats Mentor Farm farmers at farmers’ markets throughout the summer season, and in supporting farmer-driven value-added production through our commercial kitchen and commercial mill.
- Support FMF farmers at farmers’ markets with any day-of market needs.
- Work with FMF farmers to maintain post-harvest handling of produce prior to and during markets, maintaining retail market standards.
- Assist in advocacy at farmers’ markets for our Flats Mentor farmers
- Research and flyer within communities surrounding farmers’ markets to assist farmer in building a new and growing customer base
- Coordinate with Design Coordinator in developing social media posts and campaigns in support of FMF farmers’ sales and marketing.
- Support World Farmers in CSA operations including communication with pick-up location partners, administration of sign ups, and shareholder communications such as our weekly newsletter.
- Support FMF farmers’ development of Value Added products through World Farmers’ Commercial Kitchen and Commercial Mill.
- Any additional duties as requested or required to support each FMF farmer to the best of our ability. World Farmers encourages a team environment and ask that staff support, collaborate and communicate across roles to ensure our services remain seamless to FMF farmers.
- Provide regular updates to reports needed based on grant requirements.
- Understanding and knowledge of handling, display, and sale of produce.
- Experience in farmers’ market sales, marketing, or displays a plus.
- Familiarity with cultural crop needs among immigrant communities and communities of color in our region a plus.
- Passion, compassion, curiosity, and creativity to explore and develop new market opportunities for cultural crops for and with immigrant farmers and communities.
- Qualities of self-motivation, time management, flexibility and cooperation, and ability to be effective in a dynamic, multicultural/multilingual work environment.
- Social Justice and Food Justice minded and motivated individuals.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule in the summer, including Weekends.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Ownership of reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license.
- Capacity to build a collaborative culture across teammates to ensure effective and strong systems are built and implemented.
Compensation: This position is full-time at 40 hours per week, seasonal, and hourly at a starting rate of $20/hour. Benefits available.
To apply: Submit your résumé, brief cover letter, and three references to HR [at] worldfarmers [dot] org with the subject line Application. References will not be contacted without your prior approval and notification.
Additional Duties Include: acting as World Farmers ambassador and representing our values and mission across all interfaces, including with staff, farmer participants, and partners; and any other duties that working in a mission-driven, fluid operation require.
World Farmers holds 30 years of experience in supporting immigrant, refugee, and beginning farmers to grow and market their produce. Through Flats Mentor Farm in Lancaster, MA, World Farmers assists over 300 farmers by providing access to land, farming infrastructure, and technical assistance in agricultural production and marketing so that immigrants and refugees passionate about agriculture and living in New England can grow familiar foods and contribute to community food systems where locally produced cultural crops are available to all.
World Farmers is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applicants from culturally diverse backgrounds and/or historically under-represented communities.
We are an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation or any other status protected by law. World Farmers is committed to equal employment opportunity and strongly encourages women and people of color to apply.