Full-Time Food and Farm Safety Specialist
Job Title: Food and Farm Safety Specialist
Position Type: Full-Time, seasonal
Location: Lancaster, MA (In-person)
World Farmers is hiring a Food and Farm Safety Specialist who will be responsible for supporting our Production & Sustainability Coordinator in providing assistance to Flats Mentor Farm (FMF) farmers in areas of pest management and food safety throughout the summer season. World Farmers and FMF are MDAR-CQP (Commonwealth Quality Program) compliant. World Farmers maintains sizable knowledge and experience in CQP rules and regulations; this role will assist in ensuring the day-to-day food safety operations are followed. Likewise, World Farmers holds a long-standing relationship with UMass Cooperative Extension’s Vegetable Production Team who advises World Farmers and FMF farmers in organic integrated pest management (IPM) practices; this position will assist in ensuring the day-to-day pest management operations are followed.
- Support farmers with technical assistance in food safety practices according to MDAR-CQP and FSMA Produce Safety Rule.
- Ensure all FMF farmers’ products abide by CQP standards for sale.
- Assist all FMF farmers to maintain CQP records.
- Ensure farm sites and wash sites are upholding food safety standards.
- Support farmers to implement organic pest management practices and solutions.
- Assist farmers in identifying pest issues and discussing management options.
- Assist with general farm operations across land sites.
- Support farmers with technical assistance in production inquiries and needs.
- Any additional duties as requested or required to support each FMF farmer to the best of our ability. World Farmers encourages a team environment and ask that staff support, collaborate and communicate across roles to ensure our services remain seamless to FMF farmers.
- Provide regular updates to reports needed based on grant requirements.
- Knowledge of and experience in Organic Pest Management practices and solutions.
- Knowledge of and experience in food safety practices for small-scale vegetable producers, according to MDAR-CQP and FSMA Produce Safety Rule.
- Knowledge of farm equipment is a plus.
- Familiarity with cultural crops and their production needs a plus.
- Passion, compassion, curiosity, and creativity to explore and develop new market opportunities for cultural crops for and with immigrant farmers and communities.
- Qualities of self-motivation, time management, flexibility and cooperation, and ability to be effective in a dynamic, multicultural/multilingual work environment.
- Social Justice and Food Justice minded and motivated individuals.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including Weekends when needed.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Ownership of reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license.
- Capacity to build a collaborative culture across teammates to ensure effective and strong systems are built and implemented.
Compensation: This position is full-time at 40 hours per week, seasonal, and hourly at a starting rate of $20/hour. Benefits available.
To apply: Submit your résumé, brief cover letter, and three references to HR [at] worldfarmers [dot] org with the subject line Application. References will not be contacted without your prior approval and notification.
Additional Duties Include: acting as World Farmers ambassador and representing our values and mission across all interfaces, including with staff, farmer participants, and partners; and any other duties that working in a mission-driven, fluid operation require.
World Farmers holds 30 years of experience in supporting immigrant, refugee, and beginning farmers to grow and market their produce. Through Flats Mentor Farm in Lancaster, MA, World Farmers assists over 300 farmers by providing access to land, farming infrastructure, and technical assistance in agricultural production and marketing so that immigrants and refugees passionate about agriculture and living in New England can grow familiar foods and contribute to community food systems where locally produced cultural crops are available to all.
World Farmers is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applicants from culturally diverse backgrounds and/or historically under-represented communities.
We are an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation or any other status protected by law. World Farmers is committed to equal employment opportunity and strongly encourages women and people of color to apply.