Full-Time Grants and Compliance Specialist
About The David and Lucile Packard Foundation
The David and Lucile Packard Foundation is a family foundation guided by the enduring business philosophy and personal values of Lucile and David Packard, who helped found one of the world’s leading technology companies. We continue to work on the issues our founders cared about most: improving the lives of children; enabling the creative pursuit of science; advancing reproductive health and rights; conserving and restoring the earth’s natural systems; and supporting and strengthening our local communities.
About the Role
The Grants and Compliance Specialist is responsible for the management of an assigned grant portfolio, working closely with colleagues to provide effective and collaborative due diligence and oversight of grants.
Specifically, this position will be responsible for the specialized review of grant requests and supporting documentation for adequacy and accuracy through the life cycle of the grant; providing orientation for new program staff and ongoing training for existing staff on grant-related operational and legal compliance matters; managing and analyzing grant-related data and supplying requested information; providing analysis and technical support for the maintenance and upgrade of the compliance grantmaking system and related systems; working collaboratively with others to improve grantmaking processes.
Reporting to the Deputy General Counsel, the ideal candidate will have proven expertise in and knowledge of legal compliance and grants management for private foundations. They will demonstrate a strong sense of collaboration and initiative while providing independent judgement. They’ll also demonstrate strong analytical, problem solving, and communication skills, precise attention to detail, and the ability to work in diverse teams.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
• Work closely with Programs, Controller’s Office, and Legal to manage the full lifecycle of grants from concept to closing for assigned program areas to ensure responsive and timely decisions.
• Conduct due diligence on grant materials, including reviewing applications for completeness and adherence to applicable law, Foundation policies and processes for U.S. and international grants, identifying potential technical compliance issues, and proposing recommendations. Conduct final review for payment release. Draft grant agreements for legal review as needed. Monitor the progress of grants through the pre-award, award, and post-award states. Review post-award data to ensure compliance with Foundation and IRS rules and regulations for inclusion in the expenditure responsibility schedules within the Foundation’s 990 PF tax return.
• Provide technical assistance to grantmaking staff to ensure understanding and compliance with applicable U.S. and international laws and internal policies and processes. Guide program staff through the operations end of the grantmaking process. Develop and deliver training for new and existing grantmaking staff on applicable laws, internal policies, and processes. Support the legal team on legal compliance training for international grantee organizations.
• Develop and document grantmaking workflow processes, forms, templates, and data to ensure full compliance with internal controls and legal requirements. Participate in ongoing efforts to improve and streamline the Foundation’s grantmaking policies, workflows, and procedures, and guides program staff through policy transitions.
• Maintain working knowledge of the Foundation’s programs and priority funding areas; develop specific knowledge of programmatic strategy; and participate in a culture of learning related to the field of philanthropy and grants management.
Compliance Systems Administration
• Serve as the department’s primary contact for systems for day-to-day grantmaking compliance issues.
• Monitor and ensure on-going data integrity of grantmaking compliance systems.
• Maintain grant management system support and reference materials for the compliance and legal teams including the compliance systems process documentation and the Grantmaking Process Manual.
• Provide grantmaking and legal compliance expertise to the Foundation’s ongoing efforts to maintain and enhance the functionality of its grant management system. Collaborate effectively with internal stakeholders on system enhancement identification, prioritization, implementation, testing, and validation. Test systems upgrades and changes to ensure alignment with compliance policies and procedures.
• Lead projects involving compliance and grantmaking operations improvements, the development and enhancement of the grant management systems, and/or integration of Foundation grant management system with other needed systems or products. Design and document detailed workflows and reporting templates as required.
• Generate reports from grant management system, with analysis, as needed.
• Manage Foundation-wide watch list verification administration, documentation, and enhancements as anti-terrorism laws and internal policies evolve over time.
• Serve as primary contact and manager of employee and trustee matching gifts program including and managing external vendor and compliance with program guidelines, review monthly invoices for grant payments, and provide reports.
• Generate reports and provide data analysis as requested by internal and external partners including reviewing and validating data for the Foundation’s annual financial audit.
• Represent the Foundation in the philanthropic sector by sharing lessons and experiences with the field through writing or presenting, participating in funder gatherings, and learning from colleagues at other foundations.
• Work across the Foundation’s operations functions to enable efficient and streamlined flow of information and learning.
• Other duties or projects as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education and work experience; and 5-8 years of work experience in areas related to grantmaking, compliance, or internal audit.
• Experience with the legal and compliance issues pertaining to a U.S.-based private foundation.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Working knowledge of IRS regulations governing private foundation grantmaking.
• Demonstrated ability to exercise excellent independent judgement and initiative. Ability to independently manage a robust workload.
• Strong analytical, critical thinking, and organizational skills with precise attention to detail and accuracy.
• Ability to work within a complex environment, including collaborating with and influencing various stakeholders regardless of reporting and functional lines.
• Excellent written and oral communication and customer service skills. Strong training and presentation skills.
• Adept at leading and advancing projects and bringing forward new ideas. Skilled at creating and enhancing processes and proposing improvements to grant management systems and grantmaking practices.
• Team oriented, collaborative, diplomatic, curious, and flexible.
• Willingness to learn from mistakes.
• Demonstrated experience and skill with technical aspects of grant management system, applications, and Microsoft Office.
• Ability to travel internationally on an occasional basis.
The David and Lucile Packard Foundation requires that all staff be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, except as required by law. Any employment offer will be contingent upon satisfactory proof that you are fully vaccinated from COVID-19, subject to reasonable accommodations for medical or religious reasons, and/or as otherwise required by applicable law.