Full-Time Head, Investments
Key results expected:
- Promote strong market intelligence across team and work collaboratively with the Chief Investment Officer in identifying strategic and tactical opportunities for Gavi’s investment portfolios.
- Provide thought leadership, organize, and assign investment research projects.
- Advance risk management regime across Investments team and support teams’ ability to deliver strong risk-adjusted returns.
- Produce concise and persuasive recommendations and analysis, including excellent data visualization.
- Ensure delivery of comprehensive and accurate performance and risk reporting to the Investment Committee, the Gavi Board, the senior management team, and other relevant stakeholders.
- Develop and coach direct reports, including interns and promote strong affiliation.
Main duties/ Responsibilities:
Cultivate and maintain excellent relationships with senior level executives such as chief investment officers, senior portfolio managers, chief financial officers, chief risk officers, and chief compliance officers at investment management firms and related vendors.
- Provide financial markets guidance to and foster cooperation across Gavi teams such as Finance, Resource Mobilization, Governance, and Internal Audit teams.
- Research and Identify key market themes that will serve as the foundation for essential communication points in the Investment Committee and Board reports and presentations.
- Assess and advocate for software, databases, and industry publications to enable the Investments team to deliver best-in-class reporting.
- Oversee compliance with the organization’s investment guidelines such as the Investment Policy Statement, Asset Allocation Statement and Sustainable Investment Policy and advise Chief Investment Officer of anticipated portfolio changes.
- Consolidate internal financial forecasts, capital markets assumptions and Gavi risk appetite to develop thematic drivers for scenario analyses and the annual asset allocation study.
- Lead and report findings from due diligence meetings of assigned prospective and current investment managers.
- Prepare cogent recommendations for hiring and firing investment managers, and other essential vendors.
- Manage inquiries and prepare documentation related to Gavi’s internal audit work plans.
- Provide cross functional support on organization-wide risk reviews and other projects as needed
- Coordinate annual risk control and assessment matrix for risk rating investment managers and prepare attendant report for the Gavi Alliance Investment Committee.
- Represent Gavi at conferences and discussion panels.
- Partner with NGOs, non-profits, or other institutional investors to identify investment strategies of mutual interest and develop joint strategies for negotiating favourable fee schedules and other contractual arrangements.
- Build and maintain Gavi’s strong reputation in the investment industry.
Note: The essential functions listed in this section are not exhaustive of the job responsibilities; other duties may be assigned consistently with department needs.
- Bachelor’s degree required from an accredited university, with preference for finance, economics, or international relations studies.
- Graduate degree such as a master’s in business administration or science highly desirable.
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) certification required.
- Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA) certification or other professional certification is helpful.
- Minimum 10 years of relevant work experience at an investment bank (highly desirable), corporate or government pension plan, international non-profit or sovereign wealth fund.
- Well-developed understanding of capital markets, portfolio management and asset allocation.
- Ability to explain technical investment concepts in a concise and effective manner.
- Highly developed analytical, problem-solving and research skills.
- Excellent communications skills required, including excellent data visualization, effective writing, and presentation skills.
- Ability to think and work independently and to meet tight deadlines.
- High proficiency in MS Office, with strengths in PowerPoint and Excel.
- High proficiency with Bloomberg.
- High proficiency with conferencing platforms such as Zoom, MS Teams or WebEx.
- A team player, open-minded, collaborative, and creative.
- Able to work comfortably in a multi-cultural environment.
- Good knowledge of institutional or organizational policies, systems, and procedures.
- Good use of tact and discretion.
- Travel requirements: <15%.
- Written and spoken fluency in English.
- Proficiency in French is an asset.
- Gavi Secretariat
- Investment Committee, Board members
- Investment managers and vendors
- Industry peers
Gavi is committed to diversity within its workforce and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.