Full-Time Marketing Communications Writer
If you are a highly motivated, creative, and skilled writer, Fistula Foundation is your opportunity to play a key role in transforming women’s lives in Africa and Asia. You will join a small, dedicated staff in addressing the “hidden” problem of obstetric fistula, a childbirth injury that devastates the lives of one million women, primarily in low-income countries. Your challenge will be to build on the Foundation’s solid track record and help the Foundation raise vital revenue that enables us to provide restorative surgery to women. You will contribute to this effort by working with the Foundation’s team to craft compelling communications for donors at all levels and across multiple platforms.
About Fistula Foundation:
An estimated one million women in Africa and Asia suffer from obstetric fistula, a debilitating childbirth injury that leaves a woman incontinent, and too often abandoned by her family and shunned by her community. Fistula Foundation exists to end this needless suffering. Surgery is the only cure for obstetric fistula, and we deliver surgeries through partner facilities in more than 20 countries.
Over the last decade, we have emerged as the global leader in fistula treatment, helping more women in more places than even the United Nations or the US government. We are raising five times as much as we were a decade ago and treating 15 times as many women. However, there is still much work to be done. We need the help of a talented and driven writer to help us end fistula in a generation.
True to our Silicon Valley roots, Fistula Foundation is dynamic and growth-oriented. We “lean hard” into technology and the efficiencies it brings, enabling us to do more with fewer resources. Fistula Foundation is committed to delivering results for our mission and aspires to the values of the Effective Altruism movement.
We have the dynamism of a lean start-up team with the stability of a mature organization, including a healthy reserve and endowment. We have 15 years of 4-star Charity Navigator ratings, an honor less than 1% of charities receive. And, we have earned the recognition of high-profile leaders including Pulitzer Prize winner Nicholas Kristof and internationally renowned ethicist Peter Singer.
Position Overview: The Marketing Communications Writer will report to the Communications Manager and join the Communications Team. S/he will also work in close collaboration with other members of the team based in San Jose, California. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, our team is temporarily remote with the aim to return to the office in July 2021.
The ideal candidate will have strong and versatile writing skills and will possess superior interpersonal and communication abilities. S/he will be a proven performer, a quick learner, and will be able to demonstrate a “get it done” work ethic. As a small, lean organization, every member of our team must be willing to pitch in with tasks large and small. S/he will also have excellent organizational skills and the ability to adapt to new conditions, assignments, and deadlines. Quick turnaround on key projects is essential for success. Eagerness to listen and learn from other Foundation staff about our work and our partners in the field is vital.
- 2+ years of work or internship experience
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Strong writing, editing, and communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Publisher, etc.)
- Integrity, optimism, and a proven work ethic in a collaborative work environment
- Experience writing fundraising-related communications
- Basic CRM & database navigation skills (Salesforce, email platforms, asset management)
- Experience or demonstrated interest in global health and/or women’s advancement
- Write and edit content across all Fistula Foundation communication channels, including digital (email, website copy, social media, etc.) and print (newsletters, direct mail, donation receipts, thank you letters, etc.)
- Draft personalized communications for mid-level and major donors, including funding proposals, impact updates, reports, etc.
- Coordinate with external media partners
- Stay up-to-date with the work of our partners in Africa and Asia
- Provide additional general support to the Fistula Foundation team as needed
Compensation, Benefits, and Culture:
Fistula Foundation offers a competitive salary with potential for bonuses and increases based on performance. We also offer a competitive benefits package, including health insurance, a 403(b) match, and a generous vacation plan that begins in Year 1.
Our team prioritizes initiative, productivity, and teamwork. We celebrate the successes of our team and our partners. We value creativity and passion for our mission, while encouraging our teammates to live healthy lives. We’re a dog-friendly office with weekly fruit delivery, paid gym memberships, and a supportive office culture.
How to ApplyHow to Apply: Please send the following materials via email to Katherine Weller, Communications Manager: email@example.com
- Cover letter
- 2-3 writing samples