Temporary Program Manager (Temporary)
Uncharted is a social impact accelerator that builds coordinated movements of people to tackle problems from all angles—problems like food deserts, urban poverty, and hate and discrimination. We partner with corporations, foundations, and governments to launch initiatives that connect those working on the same problem and help them go to scale. To date, we have helped social entrepreneurs raise $315 million, create impact in 96 countries, and benefit 52 million lives.
Uncharted is seeking a Program Manager who is deeply committed to the Uncharted mission and tirelessly serves the entrepreneurs on our programs. The Program Manager is proactively engaged in the implementation of Uncharted’s top tier and complex programs with major foundations and leading corporate brands. Your job will be to find exceptional entrepreneurs and partners tackling the world’s toughest problems, then help design and deliver accelerators that help scale their impact and lead the team to success (while having a lot of fun!)
The work we do at Uncharted is in service to others. This means that it will be demanding at times – in terms of effort, hours worked as well as care and attention given to our projects. You need to be the type of person who sees the bigger picture and who loves working for a greater purpose. You are a vital resource within our system. The team, our ventures, and partners need your deepest possible care. If this scares you, then this is not the job for you.
The Program Manager (PM) is responsible for the success and impact of each program they are assigned to. This includes:
- End to end project management of assigned accelerator program. Working closely with the Product Team and proactively engaging in projects to drive superior delivery of the program you are assigned to.
- Become a recognizable face and knowledgeable resource for the programs you are assigned to
- Support program and curriculum design for accelerator
- Manage selection of ventures: reviewing applications, interviews, due diligence, etc.
- Work with External Relationship Manager to match experts and mentors to participants in the program. As an example, is a list of mentors for Visible Connect.
- Oversee the execution and delivery of the program
- Report back to our partners and maintain a positive and mutually beneficial relationship
- Manage and maintain back-end systems that track relationships (We use Salesforce – while prior experience in Salesforce isn’t necessary, it would be a bonus!)
- Manage Program Associates assigned to your programs who will assist in venture communication and coordination
- Work closely with the Product Team to continue the growth of Uncharted Accelerators with new, exciting ideas, content contributions, network outreach, and team development
- Contribute in the orchestration and execution of sophisticated pranks targeted at various members of the team.
Are you the right fit?
- Mission and culture contributor: First and foremost – you are deeply committed to the mission and vision of Uncharted. You see this role as an opportunity to exercise your passion and align your values and purpose with the values and purpose of an organization attempting to put a dent in the world’s most pressing problems. You are a culture-creator (not just a consumer), and you believe in the power of creating environments where people can belong and thrive.
- 3-5 years experience working with entrepreneurs and ventures: You have worked with startups, entrepreneurs, and organizations looking to scale. Perhaps you have been an entrepreneur yourself, or you’ve spent time mentoring entrepreneurs, or you’ve worked for another accelerator or organization that supported the growth of ventures. This is familiar territory for you.
- 3-5 years of program management experience: You have managed sophisticated programs on tight deadlines. You’ve designed, coordinated, executed, and followed-through on programs (of any kind) and you have the outcomes to prove it. From metrics to timelines to communication channels to contingency plans, you’re comfortable and capable being in charge.
- Coaching and mentoring experience: You are a constant learner and are forever curious. You love listening to people, reading, exploring and learning, you find joy in asking the right questions and not taking things at face value. You dig deep and sometimes find yourself in rabbit holes but you are also able to find a thread, connect the dots and get the “big picture”. This makes you a great sounding board for entrepreneurs, pushing them to clarity when they are confused, helping them to prioritize and brainstorm and elevating their leadership capabilities.
- Partner management experience: You have directly managed client relationships on past projects, including regular engagement, reporting and feedback, problem solving for the greater good with positive outcomes.
- Proven ability to work with detailed data analysis and metrics: You have an acute understanding of impact and are able to report on this in a meaningful way both internally, and to our partners.
- Proactive and relentless relationship-builder: You are a natural at building and maintaining relationships in a warm, genuine way. And you don’t take no for an answer; you’re relentless in your efforts to build relationships or lock up partnerships with even the most famous people in all the land. You can speak to experiences of identifying, pursuing, and locking up a partnership or relationship with someone that was elusive and hard to pin down.
- Strong organizational skills: Your success is built upon a foundation of methodical, personal organization that gives you the confidence to reach deadlines and achieve outcomes even when there are numerous other “priorities” and distractions. At your previous company, you built out and managed systems that helped keep other people organized.
- Is this role employee or contract? What does it mean that it is temporary? This is a full time, W2 role for the duration of the program. This will be between 9-12 months total and we will know the more exact end date by the end of the interview process. While you are on the team, you will have full benefits listed below.
- Who will I be working with? You will report to Adrienne Russman, Director of Government and Community Relations and work closely with our Product Team members like Emily Lutyens, Addy Bateman, and Cristina Lara-Agudelo. If you get further in the process, you will have the opportunity to virtually meet these team members and we will share their User Guides, so you can get a better understanding of what it would be like to work with them.
- Is your team currently remote? Will this stay remote long term? We are operating remotely due to COVID-19 and city guidance. This role can be based anywhere in the US.
- What is Uncharted’s approach to a diverse and equitable workforce? You can read our diversity statement below (which we wholeheartedly stand behind), but we want to take it a step further because creating a diverse and equitable workforce and workplace culture goes beyond a diversity statement in a job description. We’re in the business of building and sharing power and creating equitable access to opportunity, and we believe that journey starts within our proverbial office by building a team, culture, and programming that includes, values, and empowers diverse voices, perspectives, and experiences. We also value transparency and would be remiss if we didn’t also share that, like everyone, we’re on a journey when it comes to our DEI efforts and education. Right now, we can’t boast the kind of staff stats that match the diversity of our country. We’re still learning (we always will be!) and we still have a lot of work to do, but we’re undertaking it wholeheartedly, voluntarily, and proactively because our work, our world, and all of us will benefit from the magic that happens when people from different backgrounds build something together. Have more questions about this? Ask away! Want to push us on something? We welcome it.
- I have a question that isn’t listed here, what can I do? Feel free to fill out this form and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Start Date: Mid July
Application Process and Estimated Timelines:
- Applications Open: Applications are open through June 1st. This application should take about 20 minutes including your resume, cover letter, and a few questions.
- Phone Interviews (20 minutes): Through June 10th. There is no prework for this interview.
- Zoom Interviews (1 hour): June 14- 17th. The Zoom interview will dig into the details of your experience professionally.
- Projects: June 21st – 24th. If moving to the project phase, you will receive a project scope which will take 2-4 hours to complete. You will have a 48 hour time period of your choosing to work on the project before submission.
- Final Interviews: June 28th – July 1. This interview will be with various members of the Uncharted team and include a working interview with team members and company leaders as a ‘working session’ to discuss your project. This is approximately a half day interview and can be split over two days.
- Reference Calls: July 6 – July 8. Final candidates will share 3 professional references and we will reach out to them for 15 minute phone calls.
- Final Offer Made in early July
(Note: If this changes or pushes back in any way, we will let candidates know as soon as possible)
Location: Remote with minimal travel to Denver for team building. Our HQ is Denver, Colorado and periodically this role may require travel to the Denver area.
Compensation: $60,000 – $75,000 annually, plus benefits. This position is exempt.
- Uncharted works on 4 Day Work Weeks, at 32 hours a week – yes that means every Friday off! 100% contribution, 100% pay, 80% time. To learn about our Four Day Work Week check out our Medium page.
- Healthcare including dental and vision plan which starts on the 1st of the month after hire. Uncharted pays 75% of premiums for our full time employees and their dependents and limited
- SIMPLE IRA with up to 3% matching
- 20 days PTO annually, prorated based on time worked(since we work 4 days per week, that equals out to 5 weeks off a year)
- 10 holidays annually + your birthday off
- Annual Professional Development Budget
- Limited matching donations to mission-aligned 501(c)3s
We are committed to a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace in which everyone is welcomed, valued, and supported. Uncharted recruits, employs, compensates, and promotes without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic or family medical history, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.