Full-Time Senior Programme Assistant, US Strategy
Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance is a public-private partnership committed to saving children’s lives and protecting people’s health by increasing equitable use of vaccines in lower-income countries. Gavi brings together developing country and donor governments, other multilateral organizations, the vaccine industry, technical agencies, civil society, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and other private sector partners. Gavi uses innovative finance mechanisms, including co-financing by recipient countries, to secure sustainable funding and adequate supply of quality vaccines. Since 2000, Gavi has contributed to the immunisation of nearly 888 million children and the prevention of more than 15 million future deaths.
The US Strategy team, based in Washington DC, as part of the broader Resource Mobilization, Private Sector Partnerships, and Innovative Finance (RMPSPIF) team supports Gavi by ensuring strong and sustainable donor financing and engagement from US-based donors. Through the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), the United States government is Gavi’s largest donor and a close partner to Gavi. The US Strategy team supports this critical partnership through regular engagement with colleagues across all branches of government, US-based civil society and advocacy organizations, think tanks and other relevant organizations. The team also works to maintain existing and cultivate new relationships with private sector entities that support Gavi’s mission. As a part of the broader RMPSPIF team, the US Strategy team helps lead on key fundraising and reporting exercises to support both Gavi’s core work and Gavi’s work to facilitate access to COVID-19 vaccines in lower-income countries.
Key results expected:
- Efficient programmatic and administrative support for the U.S. Strategy team within the broader Resource Mobilization, Private Sector Partnerships, and Innovative Finance team. This includes the preparation of quality written documents, briefing notes, research summaries, and presentations, as well as administrative support, including the management of meetings, logistics, and travel.
Main duties/ Responsibilities:
- Provide the Director and department staff (as appropriate), with program support in policy tracking and analysis, conducting research, checking data integrity, tracking deliverables, and in the creation and editing of both internal and external presentations and written materials, including briefing notes for US Director and Gavi leadership.
- Communicate with internal and external contacts, including high ranking officials and partner organizations and maintain relationships with some global health coalitions.
- Complete a broad variety of administrative and program support tasks for the US Director and department staff (as requested), including but not limited to:
- organizing and contributing to the preparation of meeting documents and briefing materials as directed;
- support for scheduling as needed;
- coordinating and preparing team expense reports and reimbursements;
- composing and preparing correspondence that is sometimes confidential;
- arranging complex and detailed travel plans, itineraries, and agendas; and
- maintaining team files.
- With direction from the US Director, serve as the department budget focal point; manage and prepare financial reports, department’s annual budget and necessary updates, as well as procurement-related contracts within Gavi’s SAP financial system.
- Serve as focal point for individual donations in the US market, managing donation platform and engagement with individual donors.
- Work independently and as part of a team on special non-recurring and on-going projects, which may include managing logistics, planning and coordinating events or presentations, meeting preparation and disseminating information.
- Act as focal point for obtaining and managing interns.
- As directed, support and make contributions as directed toward the overall Resource Mobilization Private Sector Partnerships & Innovative Finance team’s success by performing program support and diverse administrative functions in a fast-paced global environment
Note: The essential functions listed in this section are not exhaustive of the job responsibilities; other duties may be assigned consistently with the department needs.
- Completion of secondary education. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience with administrative and/or project support showing progressively responsible work in a relevant office environment.
- Proven ability to quickly adapt to a complex administrative and policy environment and to deal with and overcome uncertainty.
- Previous executive experience required; private sector or political experience preferred.
- Proven ability to be a self-starter and work well in, and contribute to, a fast-paced team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver high quality, accurate work within target deadlines.
- Outstanding organizational, prioritization, communication, writing skills as well as project management experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with all levels of internal management and staff, as well as outside clients and vendors.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office tools (Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point), Adobe Acrobat, and cloud-based contact & knowledge management tools.
- Successful experience maintaining complex calendars and coordinating meetings/events.
- Strong ability to multi-task, maintain an efficient and effective orientation through task completion and meeting deadlines.
- Ability to sense when to take initiative in the absence of specific instruction, and to work effectively and efficiently with minimal supervision.
- Excellent research, analytical, writing and organizational skills required and strong ability to prioritize tasks.
- Team player, collaborative, creative and innovative work style.
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills: position requires the ability to work with individuals from a variety of backgrounds and demonstrate poise, patience, tact, and diplomacy in high-pressure situations.
- Proven adaptive mindset with the ability to work under pressure, deal well with uncertainty, and pivot quickly when new priorities arise.
- Enthusiasm for global health and international policy and a desire to grow in these fields.
- Experience working with a lean yet highly skilled and talented professional team is required.
- Strong use of tact and discretion.
- Previous experience with SAP systems desirable.
- Written and spoken fluency in English;
- French or another language (written and read) is an asset.
- All parts of Gavi’s Secretariat
- US. government, including Congressional and Administration staff and Gavi partners and stakeholders, including corporate partners.
GAVI is committed to diversity within its workforce and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.