Full-Time Senior Strategist, US Insurance
Location: Remote within the United States, an eligible candidate must be authorized to work in the U.S
Remuneration: Depending on experience (including unpaid and other experiences) and capacity to take on responsibility, the salary range is $99,700- $108,000. Windward Fund’s excellent benefits package includes 401(k) employer match; 100% employer paid health, vision and dental coverage; and generous vacation policy.
Hours: Full Time
Overtime Status: Exempt
Start Date: January, 2022
Driven by a passion to solve the climate crisis, The Sunrise Project U.S. is a team of experienced change-makers, researchers and communications professionals with a mission to scale social movements to drive the global transition beyond fossil fuels. With affiliated programs and staff in Australia and Europe, we have developed a unique model of grant making and campaigning that supports networks of organizations to drive powerful change towards our mission.
We have a dynamic and nimble organisational culture. We’re serious about supporting our people to thrive as we tackle the urgent climate challenge.
We believe that a diversity of experiences and perspectives will help us build stronger strategies, teams and movements. We strongly encourage First Nations people, people of color, people living outside of cities, and people with disabilities to apply. We are continually working on becoming a better workplace for everyone.
You’re a natural campaigner and a creative thinker with a strong track record of making change happen. You have a strong strategic sense and an understanding of how power works in the world. You want to shift the role of financial institutions and hold corporate power to account. You know how companies operate either through your experience as a campaigner, in the government, or through your work in the financial sector. You can develop strategy, build a team, manage multiple concurrent projects across time zones and continents and also are comfortable working effectively in collaborative teams.
You’ve got exceptional networking and interpersonal communication skills and are just as comfortable working with senior finance industry professionals as with grassroots climate activists.
About The Role
Without insurance, energy companies cannot build or operate climate destroying projects like coal mines and oil pipelines. Currently, U.S. insurance companies are enabling a dangerous build out of climate-wrecking fossil fuel infrastructure. With your help, we’re going to change that. This role will develop and execute strategies to shift the biggest US insurers away from insuring fossil fuels. This role sits within our global insurance team and will help contribute to the global strategy.
We support networks of organizations to work together to achieve outcomes that would not be possible by individual organizations acting alone. This role will actively support the capacity building of these networks and partner organizations.
- Devise, coordinate and, with our network of partners, implement the Insure Our Future campaign to convince US insurers to stop insuring new fossil fuel projects and to divest from these sectors;
- Jointly manage a multi-million dollar campaign budget and partner grants. Seek out and develop new and diverse campaign partnerships;
- Supervise Senior Campaigner & Senior Communications Campaigner;
- Provide strategic advice to staff and partners to help them run more effective campaigns;
- Communicate best practice policies to target companies through press releases, blogs, reports, and memos, alongside our Insure Our Future partners
- Drive engagement with the senior management of U.S. insurers
- Strengthen alliances and convene meetings of alliance partners and networks as required.
Required Skills and Experience
- At least 5-7 years of experience in a similar or related role including unpaid, grassroots, or lived experience;
- Demonstrated experience managing campaigns at an international level;
- Demonstrated ability to manage campaign alliances and external partnerships;
- Ability to learn new topics quickly, and/or knowledge of the finance sector.
- A strong grasp of campaign strategy, system thinking and the ability to articulate strategies in a clear and compelling way;
- Demonstrated experience managing staff;
- Excellent facilitation and convening skills;
- A passion for action on climate change and a commitment to social justice;
- You must have full working rights for the United States.
If you meet some but not all of the criteria for this position, are unsure, but you’re keen on the role – please get in touch. We value and recognize experience that has been unpaid, from the grassroots or is lived experience.
How Sunrise supports its staff:
The Sunrise Project U.S. is committed to creating a workplace that supports our staff to do their best work and develop professionally. We have the following in place to help us achieve that:
- 401(k) & employer match
- 100% employer paid health, vision and dental coverage
- Four weeks of vacation leave
- Birthday leave (if it’s your birthday, you get a day off)
- Cultural & solidarity leave
- 12 weeks parental leave after 12 months of service
- Commitment to supporting to your professional development
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program
- Coaching and management support with regular 1:1 meetings
- Performance reviews and feedback to support you and the team to reflect and grow
- A co-developed initial 3 month work plan to help you hit the ground running and have clarity on your role and responsibilities
- Flexible work policy
Statement from our US Fiscal Sponsor Windward Fund
Sunrise US is a project of Windward Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. Windward Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Windward Fund ‘s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
How to Apply
- In our commitment to inclusive hiring of the best candidates, we use the Be Applied hiring system to process applications. Start your application by clicking here. The application window will close on November 22, 6:00 PM, PST.
- The Be Applied system reduces the opportunity for unconscious bias in allowing for anonymized reviews of responses to work sample questions. This means we assess candidates on how well they strategize and communicate on relevant work samples. When you click on the link you will be taken to an external site to start your application. You will be required to upload a CV or resume and will be asked to respond to a few questions with long form answers. We will not be asking you to submit a cover letter.