Full-Time Strategy Director
ABOUT THE ROLE
Purpose is seeking an innovative and entrepreneurial Strategy Director to join our internationally diverse Strategy team and support in expanding our client work with businesses and brands across the US and globally. Directors play a leadership role on our Strategy team, lead strategy projects, collaborate with our creative campaigning team, manage key client relationships, and proactively seek out new ways to grow the business.
We’re looking for folks with ten or more years of work experience in Strategy from a consultancy/agency or non-profit, with diverse experience including some or all of this work:
- Building and managing relationships with key stakeholders across the private sector
- Directly contributing to the growth of the business
- Demonstrated track record of leading projects with multidisciplinary teams in a deadline-driven environment
- Working to leverage corporate power to create a positive impact in the world
- Generating impact-driven strategies, campaigns or programs
This position is an opportunity to play a crucial role as we continue to expand our offerings at the intersection of private enterprise and social good. We’re looking for someone who is excited to be a thought partner to our Head of the Private Sector practice, and take a lead role in partner management and building new business pipelines. The ideal candidate is a thoughtful and passionate individual who can build and run a pitch process, inspire action with your presentation skills and push the boundaries of the strategy discipline. You know how to build relationships with people and organizations that represent a diversity of identities, and understand how to use existing power structures for social change.
The role reports to a Senior Director who is the Head of the Private Sector Practice. This role is offered at the Director tier with a salary range of $110,000 – $140,000 commensurate with experience, plus medical, dental and vision benefits and a generous paid time off policy.
Candidates based in and around New York are encouraged to apply. We will also consider candidates based in or around Seattle. We are working remotely for the time being and hope to move to a hybrid structure in the coming months.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Collaborate closely with the Head of the Private Sector Practice to build, execute and expand our private sector client work;
- Pitch for, lead and deliver Purpose’s movement methodology to a range of businesses and brands with a team of smart strategists, campaigners and impact measurement specialists;
- Take the lead on key client relationships, ensuring projects deliver to their needs while building long-term trust that leads to future engagements;
- Contribute to, refine, and create new Purpose IP and frameworks and provide thought leadership on using corporate power to deliver positive impact in the world;
- Help to expand the capabilities of Purpose’s wider team in working with private sector organizations and clients;
- Provide direction and feedback on storyline and frameworks; put recommendations in the context of broader client needs and issue space;
- Ensure high-quality output for clients, provide guidance on appropriate format and style for end products, and that the work is delivering on both the big picture goals and the critical details;
- Authoritatively present and facilitate across all project workstreams to client and wider stakeholder groups; manage diverse audiences’ input in real-time; and maintain the project’s strategic perspective throughout;
- Set the standard and model leadership on internal and external projects through strong expectation management, direction and delegation while fostering ownership and commitment in others;
- Support and guide others in maintaining positive and respectful relationships, particularly during times of conflict/change.
- 10+ years experience, ideally at the intersection of business and social/environmental impact while managing multidisciplinary teams, complex projects, and senior clients;
- Strategy background from a brand or social impact consultancy/agency or similar spaces;
- Strong client leadership and team management skills with experience scoping and delivering fee-for-service projects;
- A clear understanding and point of view about current corporate and brand purpose trends;
- An ability to work with civil society, advocacy organizations and philanthropists through a lens of equity and be thoughtful about how brands navigate impact ecosystems;
- Demonstrated interest in social sector organizing and the issues Purpose and its clients are passionate about;
- High bar for quality, rigor, and integrity in your own work, as well as your colleagues’
- Passion, a sharp mind, high integrity, a hands-on attitude, and an entrepreneurial, problem-solving spirit
- Excited to support global teams and work with people from diverse backgrounds
- Dedicated to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive work environment
Purpose takes on some of the biggest challenges in the world, which affect people of different identities and backgrounds in different ways. We are stronger and most effective with a diverse team leading the charge and are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome the unique contributions that individuals bring in terms of their education, opinions, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, color, religion, disability, sexual orientation and beliefs.