Temporary Volunteer Recruitment Contractor
Adventure Scientists is seeking an experienced contractor to support volunteer recruitment for our field research projects. The position will focus on recruiting volunteers for our Timber Tracking: Eastern Black Walnut project, but may also support other active projects. This is a temporary position with hours that are flexible and dependent on project needs. The position will not exceed 400 hours total within the timeframe of June-September 2021 (approximately 20hrs/wk). There is a possibility, though no guarantee, of contract extension or full-time employment, depending on organizational needs. The position may be remote and based out of a home office, or based in our Bozeman, MT office.
The volunteer recruiting contractor will recruit volunteers from the outdoor community using established outreach strategies and resources. They will also be empowered to bring their own creativity to engage, inspire, and motivate community members to contribute to environmental impact by volunteering for our scientific data collection projects. The position is an ideal fit for someone who is exceptionally skilled at mobilizing community members, understands outdoor adventure culture, and has an abiding interest in science, conservation, and human health. This role reports to the Associate Director of Project Management, and works closely with the Project Management and communications teams.
- Identify and conduct outreach with media outlets, groups, and businesses that could
be volunteer sources, such as local reporters, social media groups, meetups, outdoor
stores, environmental groups, colleges, community hubs, or outdoor ambassadors
- Create posters, social media posts, radio ads, or other creative content to recruit
- Work with Adventure Scientists communications staff to distribute those recruitment
materials to media outlets including Adventure Scientists and other organization’s
social media platforms, radio, newspapers, online ads, and community flyers or posters
- Support planning and management of virtual or in-person recruitment events
- Coordinate with project management staff to understand and keep up-to-date on the
number and kinds of volunteers needed for each project
- Measure and assess volunteer recruiting efforts for cost- and time-efficiency
- Use CRM software (e.g., Salesforce, Mailchimp, Gmail), to organize volunteer
information and track recruiting goals
- Support and assist with other communications and project management tasks as needed
- Experience with volunteer support, recruitment, and/or campaign management
- Experience creating recruiting products such as posters, social media posts, press
releases, media pitches using Adobe Creative Suite, Hootsuite, and/or other content
creation and scheduling tools
- Excellent writing skills in both interpersonal and mass communication
- Knowledge of what excites and drives the outdoor community
- Enthusiasm about supporting science, conservation, and outdoor adventure
- Motivation to gain an understanding of the projects we run, including the underlying
- Ability to self-motivate with minimal oversight
Work Schedule and Compensation
Contract position, pay rate of $25/hr. Position may be remote or based in our Bozeman, MT office. The contractor must provide their own computer, though we provide needed software and licenses (e.g. Salesforce login credentials). Schedule will depend on project needs and the position is budgeted to not exceed 400 hours (~20hrs/wk), with flexible hours within the timeframe of June-September, 2021.
Adventure Scientists is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization based in Bozeman, MT that equips partners with data collected from the outdoors that are crucial to addressing the world’s environmental and human health challenges. By leveraging the skills of volunteers from the outdoor adventure community we are uniquely able to gather difficult-to-obtain data at any scale, in any environment.
United in Adventure
Adventure Scientists celebrates the fact that diverse identities, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences enrich our team culture and reflect our values. We are committed to providing an equal employment opportunity for all applicants; increasing diversity in our board, staff, and the people that we serve; and embedding justice, equity and inclusion into the structure and strategy of Adventure Scientists. Our employment decisions are based on our organization’s needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, and we take concrete actions to ensure we do not discriminate based on race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, family or parental status, disability, age, national origin, or any other protected status. To learn about the specific ways in which we are continuing to learn and grow, please feel free to reach out to our Equity, Inclusion and Justice (EIJ) committee.